[DMCForum] Marc-like discussion on taxes...includes De Loreans

[DMCForum] Marc-like discussion on taxes...includes De Loreans

Ok, as Marc recently said, this list is getting a bit quiet so let's see
what happens with this one.  First, the story, then the question.

I have two De Loreans that are project cars.  I decided to wait and register
them when they were road-worthy.  Well, they enacted the bullshit Wheel Tax
here, so by mere minutes I was able to get both registered and avoid paying
this.  When I did this, however, they charged me sales tax.  Ok, but, both
cars were purchased in states other than were I live, denial not being one
of them.

I argued that I shouldn't be required to pay sales tax since I didn't
purchase the cars in my home state.  The person at the DMV stated that since
I would be using the car(s) here then I had to pay the tax.  Ok, so I asked
about buying food, clothing and other stuff outside of the state, since I
travel quite a bit.  The person replied that I wouldn't be bringing that
stuff back home with me.  Huh?  Well ok, if I took a dump before I came home
maybe, but I can buy anything outside of the state and bring it home and not
have to pay the state additional taxes, including internet purchases, so why
should I on my cars?  I was even told that if I had paid sales tax to a
dealer when I bought the cars, I would still have to pay taxes to the state
I live in.

Discuss...

Greg