Re: [DMCForum] More rear wheel-bearing nonsense

Re: [DMCForum] More rear wheel-bearing nonsense

> I'm hoping I just guessed the wrong side when I installed
the new bearing before.

That wheel bearing (front) that I repacked went bad.  I
might have swapped the races side-to-side.  The ball
bearings got all mixed up for sure.  I since heard that you
aren't supposed to rearrange things when you reassemble.
Duh.  I should have thought of that.  But then you aren't
supposed to repack this kind of bearing anyway.

> Any thoughts or suggestions?

Put the car in the air, crawl under it, drop the car
quickly.... no I mean spin the rear tires and listen.  It
could be a wheel bearing or a CV joint or a bearing in the
tranny.  Mine has a bad bearing on the tranny.  It rattles
all the time and sometimes howls at around 45mph.  I expect
to drive from Florida to Maryland and then to Pigeon Forge &
home on that bearing. :-)  I'll get around to fixing it
someday.

Mike C called today and said that you had to replace your
rear hub carrier.  Ouch.  I got a pair sitting on my front
porch.  If it were truck parts, I might be a red neck.  But
these are exotic car parts.  So what am I?  (No, seriously,
this is not a trick question.)

Walt