[DMCForum] More rear wheel-bearing nonsense

[DMCForum] More rear wheel-bearing nonsense

After replacing a rear wheel bearing that I feared would wreck me on
the way to Florida in February, it appears that I have replaced the
wrong side.

The noise never really diminished or stopped. In fact, it's changed
subtly. Instead of a wow-wow-wow noise that increases/decreases in
frequency with changes in speed, it seems to be a steady howling now.

There is no vibration. No wheels wiggle or have slop in them. The
noise is definitely in the rear. Passengers listening say the
driver's side. I can't quite tell, personally. I just drained and
refilled the transmission. No metal filings were noted. The CV joint
boots are totally sealed. No tears, no contamination.

I'm hoping I just guessed the wrong side when I installed the new
bearing before. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Rich A.

click here