Re: [DMCForum] Livin' the dream in 11472

Re: [DMCForum] Livin' the dream in 11472

Yes, but how in the heck are you ever going to synchronize them?  Due to
the
different power curves and gearing ratios, it's simply not mechanically
possible to get the output-at-the-wheels curves to match.  Even with
automatics, you're still going to have a lot of issues.

If one is assembly is ever moving faster than the other, it's going to
push
or drag the second (and this will almost always be this case) -- yes, even
with automatics.  This very effect is going to cause the powerband on both
engines to alter their power and load, cause the trans's to up and
downshift
erratically, and wreak havoc on the frame as it is accordianed back and
forth -- stresses neither the original nor your front sub were designed or
suited for.

Even if you had two identically matched engines and transmissions, you'd
have a hard time ever getting them synced.  As far as I know, the only
beast
to successfully accomplish this multiple engine feat was WWI-era Sherman
tanks, which had four straight-six Chrysler engines running together.
However, they shared a -common- crankshaft and drivetrain.  The old
Cartercar of the 19-teens had a dual engine setup, but again -- they were
mechanically synchronized via gears.

You say that due to having two auto trans's, therefore you won't have
these
issues, but you will, as well as torque converter chatter and foaming.
And
unless you have positraction-type differentials in each trans, it's not
going to want to go in a straight line either.

You're going to run into these issues if you have both engines on.  But if
you run on a single engine at a time, you're still going to have some bad
issues. The oil pump on an auto trans runs off of power from the engine,
not
off of the wheels.  So with the car rolling on one engine, the other's
transmission is going to be running without lubrication.  That's why
manufacturers tell you that you should not tow an automatic on the drive
wheels for more than 25 miles or so tops, unless the engine is running or
you disconnect the driveshaft.  The inside of the trans WILL fry after
about
50 - 100 miles.  You're going to be running metal-on-metal inside the
case.

It may work Jim, but I'd venture to bet that due to these engineering
limitations, you're going to run into:

1) lots of blown transmissions
2) unstable steering, especially under load
3) 'bouncy' braking as the trans's will downshift at different times
4) unstable, chirpy, jerky, crooked acceleration

Walt is right.  Older four-wheel drives shared these same handling issues,
and they even used the SAME engine and transmission.  The effects are
going
to be greatly magnified in your configuration.

Your car will certainly be unique, and a great novelty, but I wouldn't
plan
on trying to run both engines together on any regular basis.  Another way
look at it -- in 100 years of folks trying to make cars faster, why hasn't
anyone (including the world's best engineers) ever come up with a
functional
dual-engine auto?

I commend your efforts, but unless you have some seriously complex and
well
thought out designs to counter these and other issues, I'm betting that
your
car under dual power will actually run -slower- than stock, with
dangerously
unstable handling to boot.  I really hope you can prove me wrong, but
these
are some serious engineering feats to surmount -- that have never
successfully been surmounted before.  What are your thoughts on overcoming
these challenges?

-Dave