RE: [DMCForum] Polished valve covers and new belts

RE: [DMCForum] Polished valve covers and new belts

Turd = bad
Snickers = good

> I use a really big screwdriver to "pry" the alternator over to tighten
the
> belt.  The tip of the screwdriver goes somewhere on the alternator
> bracket,
> and the side of the screwdriver pries against the body of the
alternator.
> Our blessed alternator man John Hervey mentioned before a story about
how
> someone damaged the case of an alternator doing this.  It doesn't take
> much
> to over-tighten an alternator belt.  Some crazy rule of thumb says that
> properly tightened belt should have about one inch of flex for every
foot
> in
> length.  I'm sure someone will correct me on this.

That's the rule of thumb that I go by.

> > the belts and valve cover removals will be turned into
> new howto's
>
> Cool.  Sorry for being so slow about getting together with you on how-to
> projects like this.  I'm staying really busy.
>
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3936685.5168404.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1750876/R=0/SIG=11v1mrq3u/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?pa
ge=1762-1062629109228440> click here