May also be way I'm getting away with lower advance curves (see
threads w/ Rich Acuti).

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, elvisnocita@xxxx wrote:
> now this gets interesting...
>
> > Oh dear, where to start...
> >
> > 1) You should NEVER see ignition in the outside world (except for
> > imfamous spark check with loose boot next to block). If your ignition
> > is arcing that bad I'd be afraid to go near engine.
>
> It looked pretty cool, but it was the reason of too high voltage due to
> too wide gaps
>
> > 2) .08" is WAY too wide of a gap. Didn't you notice .028" spec in
book?

> Like I said before, it wasn't a Delorean and the plugs weren't
changed for
> several years.  They were burned away !
>

> > 3) Widening plug gap on low voltage ignition is only going to make
> > matters worse. Plug will misfire for sure. And fouling plugs are a
> > quickly viscious cycle that never gets better without manually
> > cleaning them.
> > 4) Do NOT remove ballast resistors. They are there for ignition
> > module's benefit, not coil's. Running full 12 volts through module
> > will cook it.
>
> But you need more energy to get a higher voltage, or you can just
widen the
> gap....
> To get more energy in the coil you must reduce its resistance, its
> inductivity
> or the resistor. When keeping the resistor you probably still will
have the
> same energy
> stored in the coil. And if the resistor of the coil itself is
reduced, the
> module may be
> cooked the same. You don't need the 12V, what you need is current *
time !

> > 5) Is going to be rather difficult to increase dwell time on
> > electronic ignition.
>
> yeah, its easier to replace some hokuspokus.
> By the way, dwell time or angle was the problem of the old
distributors with
> points in it.
> at high speeds the coil wasn't charged enough anymore to ignit the
gas...

> > 6) 18,000 was standard ignition voltage at turn of decade. Voltages
> > have steadily increased though years. 1960's: 8,000-12,000. 1970's:
> > 15,000-18,000. GM HEI: 25,000. I believe today's coil packs put out
> > 80,000 plus.
>
> 80kV ??? sure ? what kinda wires keep that voltage ?
>
> > Old mechanic once told me 90% of car problems were electrical. Over
> > years have found out how correct he was.
>
> This is absolutely right !!!!!!
>

> Elvis
> >
> > Bill Robertson
> >

> --
> COMPUTERBILD 15/03: Premium-e-mail-Dienste im Test
> 1. GMX TopMail - Platz 1 und Testsieger!
> 2. GMX ProMail - Platz 2 und Preis-Qualitätssieger!
> 3. Arcor - 4. web.de - 5. T-Online - 6. freenet.de - 7. daybyday -
8. e-Post

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=413496803>