Re: [DMCForum] Re: Bosch HR 6 DS

now this gets interesting...

> Oh dear, where to start...
>
> 1) You should NEVER see ignition in the outside world (except for
> imfamous spark check with loose boot next to block). If your ignition
> is arcing that bad I'd be afraid to go near engine.

It looked pretty cool, but it was the reason of too high voltage due to
too wide gaps

> 2) .08" is WAY too wide of a gap. Didn't you notice .028" spec in book?

Like I said before, it wasn't a Delorean and the plugs weren't changed for
several years.  They were burned away !

> 3) Widening plug gap on low voltage ignition is only going to make
> matters worse. Plug will misfire for sure. And fouling plugs are a
> quickly viscious cycle that never gets better without manually
> cleaning them.
> 4) Do NOT remove ballast resistors. They are there for ignition
> module's benefit, not coil's. Running full 12 volts through module
> will cook it.

But you need more energy to get a higher voltage, or you can just widen
the
gap....
To get more energy in the coil you must reduce its resistance, its
inductivity
or the resistor. When keeping the resistor you probably still will have
the
same energy
stored in the coil. And if the resistor of the coil itself is reduced, the
module may be
cooked the same. You don't need the 12V, what you need is current * time !

> 5) Is going to be rather difficult to increase dwell time on
> electronic ignition.

yeah, its easier to replace some hokuspokus.
By the way, dwell time or angle was the problem of the old distributors
with
points in it.
at high speeds the coil wasn't charged enough anymore to ignit the gas...

> 6) 18,000 was standard ignition voltage at turn of decade. Voltages
> have steadily increased though years. 1960's: 8,000-12,000. 1970's:
> 15,000-18,000. GM HEI: 25,000. I believe today's coil packs put out
> 80,000 plus.

80kV ??? sure ? what kinda wires keep that voltage ?

> Old mechanic once told me 90% of car problems were electrical. Over
> years have found out how correct he was.

This is absolutely right !!!!!!

Elvis

--
3. Arcor - 4. web.de - 5. T-Online - 6. freenet.de - 7. daybyday - 8.
e-Post

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1693352/R=0/SIG=11tralmvc/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6
0178293&partid=3170658> click here