[DMCForum] Re: Bosch HR 6 DS

I'm not resisting changing out my ignition. I'm just in a "negative
cash flow position" right now. :)

The accel coil I was looking at is the exact same size as what I have
now. The part number was 8240. I tried to look it up at the Accel
website and the closest I could find was 8245, which says it puts out
45,000 volts. I still don't know what 8240 puts out.

As a twidget, I agree that high output coil, low resistance plugs
would make the hotter spark which begets more complete combustion,
which begets more power, blah blah blah.

IF the numbers I read about the spark plugs are correct, I feel safe
buying ordinary copper plugs instead of silver. I want to make sure I
get the proper heat range.

As far as the dizzy advance goes, when I disconnect that solenoid,
the timing advances way too far because it allows vacuum to advance
the timing that it's not supposed to have until the idle micro switch
opens, and it totally has no power.

I hate intermittant problems.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> Jeg's or Summit can have an MSD, Pertronix, or Mallory coil on your
> doorstep tomorrow morning...
>
> "Wonderplugs" aren't worth much in my book. Put up tremendous
> resistance (think that's how they're supposed to burn so "hot"). I
> prefer increasing voltage at the coil and giving it low resistance
> path to cylinder. Works pretty well for the racing crowd BTW.
>
> Buy yourself a set of Delco's. Think you'll be very pleased. GM
> pioneered domestic HEI (this is a Ford man talking -- pay
attention).
> Don't forget that higher voltages also allow wider plug gap.
>
> Try disconnecting spark advance diaphragm, retiming without it
> (remember how we did it in the bad old days!) then leave capped.
> You'll still have centifugal advance so RPM's won't be a problem.
Half
> the cars on road today have holes in their diaphragms. Just drove a
> Lincoln home from NY without one no sweat. Only time I knew was bad
> was during tune up (my test: suck on hose and watch for rotor
> movement). If you've ever driven a mistimed car know how miserable
it
> can be. Hey wait -- you may be driving one now (totally agree with
> Martin G's assessment of six toe'd cut off solenoid).
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> > Wow...
> >
> > Who runs these plugs? They cost around $7.00 a piece.
> >
> > Someone here recommened against running platinum plugs. What was
the
> > reasoning behind this? I forget.
> >
> > In this series of plugs, the DS indicates a silver plated
electrode.
> > I can get DC's (copper) for around $2.00 per plug.
> >
> > Do the silver plugs burn hotter than copper? I -presume- platinum
> > burns even hotter yet.
> >
> > Also, what would be the effect of replacing my old Champion plugs
> > with new Bosch plugs but not replacing the coil? Would I even see
> > difference? Would it be a waste?
> >
> > I'm running kinda thin again and I don't know if I can run out a
buy
> > a coil right now.
> >
> > Advance Auto did have an Accel coil for $25.99 but it didn't say
what
> > the voltage output was. I didn't want to buy another weak coil.
> >
> > Come on people, let's get off the "ass-hat" bandwagon and talk
about
> > cars!
> >
> > Rich

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512