Re: [DMCForum] Re: [DML] Fuel Pump Replacement

Re: [DMCForum] Re: [DML] Fuel Pump Replacement

My 2p on this is that the original hoses last 20 years - I've pulled
apart 3 tanks in which the only re-usable item was that pickup hose.
However the problem is they collapse when the fuel gets hot and the
tank's low (and a clogged pickup filter like I had doesn't help). As
long as the hose doesn't collape or otherwise rot, I'd buy the cheapest.
It's not a complicated request and I'm sure DMCH's hose fulfills it.

As to the boot rotting - I agree that they only go bad if fuel is left
for any length of time - sadly this is all too common on a DeLorean.

Given what I've learnt about the struggle this pump undergoes when the
suction side gets stressed (noisy pump syndrome is caused by warm fuel
vapourising in the pickup as the pressure drops - remember suction is
not a force in its own right, it's lack of atmospheric pressure, and the
less atmospheric pressure there is, the more volatile the fuel gets)
it's not a good idea to mount the pump any higher than you have to - it
was put inside the tank for a reason. Mount it on the top and it will
work, it will just be much more prone to cavitation in the pickup and
noise on a hot day.

Martin
#4426.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/HliolB/TM