[DMCForum] Re: [DML] Fuel Pump Replacement

[DMCForum] Re: [DML] Fuel Pump Replacement

Hi James,

> What makes you say it's a cheaper material??? And why do you say it
won't
> last as long?

I was told these two things by Ken Koncelik and simply regurgitated it.
He
described the process he uses to make his fuel hoses and the costs
involved.

> Have you even seen one of our hoses?

Nope.

> I'd be happy to send you for your
> review, but if it's going to be as uninformed as what you've just
written,
> won't waste either of our times.

A test like this would be hard to make fair.  This is because gasoline
varies greatly depending on manufacture and batch.  I believe that many of
the original hoses have lasted as long as they have because the fuels from
years ago sometimes does not turn as caustic when it goes bad as does more
modern fuels.

Here's a good anecdote: Adam Sullivan had a Canadian spec car (VIN 17086)
that had sat for about 10 years with a mostly full tank.  The car has very
low miles (11430 Kilometers), so we assume the fuel tank innards to be
original.  He cleaned it all out, and the fuel suction hose was fine.  He
put it back together with new gasoline in the tank.  It sat for a few
months
and then I bought it.  In this comparably short time, the fuel suction
hose
fell apart and the gasoline had obviously gone bad.  It had a strong
alcohol-like smell.  My assumption is that when the modern formula
gasoline
went bad that it wasn't near as kind to the hose as the antique gasoline.
And it spent much less time soaking in bad gasoline the second time
around.

Here's another anecdote: My first DeLorean (VIN 03633) also had very low
miles (8600) and presumably the original fuel suction hose.  Evidence
suggests that the car was stored with an almost empty tank.  This is
apparent from a soft almost rotten spot on the hose where presumably it
either sat in a puddle of fuel or had a bit left inside the hose.  I put
this hose back in the car to use while I ordered a new one.  A few months
later when I go to put the new hose on the car, the old one miraculously
healed!  What the phuque?  There was no trace left of the rotten spot.

If you want to test how good the new hoses are, I suggest storing them all
together in a gas can with the lid off.  I'd put some cheap low octane
convenience store gasoline in there and watch it over a period of time.
I'd
be glad to do this experiment if you and Ken sent me sample hoses to try.
Even a piece of each should be sufficient.

> Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Would it be possible for you to have new fuel pump boots & covers made
from
the same material you are having the suction hoses made?  That would be
great.  Ken said that it was too costly for him to do.  If fuel vapors
even
look at Ken's new pump boot cover, it turns as hard as a rock.

Please let me know if I can be of further annoyance. ;-)

Walt

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/HliolB/TM