Re: [DMCForum] Diesels

The best engine to go for is then the 2.5 turbo from a Citroen XM. It's
the largest in the XUD family, This went from a 1.4 with a 1.7 having
the smallest turbo. I had one of them in my Citroen BX. I now have a
modern direct injected HDi.

SO. If you want a 2.5 turbo XUD, you're best bet is to probably buy an
old Citroen XM 2.5TD from France (common as muck and dirt cheap) and
ship it over. The engines would outlast the cars by a factor of 4. The
only problem is that the head gaskets need attention about once every
150,000 miles, and modern low sulphur diesel fuel kills the older fuel
pumps (mechanical jobby run off the cam belt which sucks from the tank
and fires the injectors in the cotrrect pattern - also has thottle cable
connected and a cold start device that's nothing more than a piece of
wire that contracts when cold!!!). I doubt N America has bothered with
low sulphur diesel yet.

Martin