[DMCForum] ATTN: Martin G

The point I was making is: my engine burns too hot timed at 13 degrees
BTDC (that mysterious notch on my timing scale, which I am now
convinced was transplanted, not original the the block -- even F
series B27 is spec'd at 10 degrees). Jim thinks it doesn't get too
hot. I have Louie as an eyewitness: plugs weren't melted (Delco
R42's), but they definitely were headed in that direction. There IS
such a thing as too much burn time in the cylinder...

The "ass-dyno" he refers to is my perception that the car performed no
better timed like that. But I apparently have no idea what I'm doing
anyway (Dear God, please don't let my driveway full of vintage
automobiles disintegrate like the Blues Brothers the next time I turn
the key) so my butt must be the world's most imprecise measuring
instrument.

And don't go waving your HP numbers too proudly: even my dumbed down
460's, only producing 210 HP, still turn 425 lbs of torque. Move 5,000
lbs of sheet metal (and a REAL cast frame, thank you very much) 0-60
in 8-9 seconds effortlessly. The reason they don't scream at
rediculously high RPM's is BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO.

How are these for sweeping statements:
Advantages of a REAL big block (PRV is *NOT* a big engine):
- Power -- "there is no replacement for displacement"
- Slower RPM's -- quieter running, less stress on engine components
- Lower operating temperature -- seals and gaskets last longer
- Ease of maintenance -- not only is every single component larger and
easier to access, but you don't have to mess with them nearly as often

Final thought: doesn't your statement that "Some of us might be more
worried about simply getting the most complete burn" (apparently in
reference to advancing ignition time) TOTALLY confirm what I said last
month about American manufacturers doing just that to get through
emissions?! Last month I was thoroughly pilloried for saying such. Now
you say EXACTLY the same thing...

Bill Robertson