[DMCForum] auto transmissions, towing, options - off topic [was: Farrar

[DMCForum] auto transmissions, towing, options - off topic [was: Farrar TowingLouie]

It's the standard 2" one, yeah. I think perhaps they rated it at
2,000lbs because it just connects to the bumper with the one bolt and nut.

And I agree that the "car carrier" is much better than the "tow dolly"
(that's what the dude at Penske called them). For the better transport
conditions and not having to haul the thing backwards, the difference in
cost is small beer.

As far as stopping goes, I can switch from 5-speed to 4-speed auto which
downshifts a LOT quicker (the manual calls this "engine braking" but it
sounds silly to me). As soon as I take my foot off the accellerator, it
downshifts and slows down VERY well, eliminating my need for heavy
braking and shortening the stopping distance by a great deal. (I love
freaking out the people behind me by doing this.) It also eliminates the
"limp" mode inherent in most modern automatics these days. In fact I use
the 4-speed function for everything but highway driving, anyway, because
it feels better - it starts to slow down immediately rather than
coasting along waiting for me to brake more firmly (I like to go easy on
my brakes - I don't like replacing the pads more than once every five
years. LOL). But as far as four vs five speed goes, here's my logic: Why
have "overdrive" (5th gear) available if I'm not driving more than
45mph, therefore not using fifth gear? Plus in traffic stopping quicker
is always better -- I don't like to spill my coffee. (On me.) I'm sure
the "limp mode" would come in handy for gas mileage purposes if I were
driving at the same speed for great distances, but in the city there's
no such thing as "same speed for great distances", unless I get lucky
and hit three green lights in a row. LOL

The more I think about it, the more it seems the flatbed option is the
most reasonable choice. If I use the four-speed option that came with
the automatic, I should be in good shape.

All the same, I'm not planning on towing Louie's car. ;)

BTW, re fridge run: When should I plan on arriving and leaving? I hve to
discuss my time off with the other DJs.

Farrar

Andrei Cular wrote:
> Farrar
>
> What size ball are you looking at?  Most of the dollies I have used require
> a 2" all of the rental trailers and dollies take 2".  Your truck will pull a
> DeLorean on a flatbed with no problems, I have pulled more with much less.
> We used to pull the 21ft 3500lb boat with a 1984 2.8l S10, only problem was
> traction on some slippery ramps.  As Bill pointed out remember you cant stop
> as well.  You might have some difficulties renting if you tell them exactly
> what you want to put on it, so just tell them somethign common.  One
> location refused to rent me a flat bed when I told them I was goign to put a
> Porsche on it.  So at the next one I just told them I was towing a mustang
> and everyone was happy.
>
> Last time I had a u-haul flat bed I pulled my D on just to see why everyone
> says it won't fit.  Well it does fit, tires rubb a little but nothing that
> will cause more than some light scuffing of the sidewalls.  Then the debate
> of backing it on to keep the tong weight, is all BS.  It made no noticeable
> difference, but then again I am used to pulling all kinds of strange things.
> But trust me it is worth the $52/day for the flat bed over a dolly.

click here