Re: [DMCForum] Re: Farrar Towing Louie

Bill:

> If you've got a traditional step bumper bolted directly to the frame
> your Ranger should be good for at least 3,500 lbs Gross Towing Weight.
> The dolly itself weighs next to nothing.

True. However when I checked yesterday, the ball which bolts to the
bumper is rated only at 2,000 pounds. I'd have to mount an under-bumper
hitch, which at $100 is more affordable than I thought.

> I fully agree with Scott Mueller -- driving with a brakeless dolly
> behind you is tricky, but doable. DRIVE SENSIBLY. Minimize
> distractions in the cab. Watch other drivers doubly hard. Plan ahead
> for lane changes, stops, etc. Don't back up if you can help it.

Hey, now. I do this ALL the time! LOL

> Here's a good question: If you buy an automatic DeLo, does anybody
> know how to isolate the transmission? Do you simply remove the drive
> axles? I doubt if you can tow it around attached to the rear wheels
> without grinding up the clutch discs.

Good point. I suppose leaving it in Neutral wouldn't do enough.

> Don't try to dolly it backwards. That's asking TOO much from the
> steering wheel lock.

Would it be easier, then, to disengage the lock somehow, than un-link it
from the transmission?

> I've dragged two cars home from Ohio, plus several around North
> Carolina, all with dollys. The one thing I've never towed is an honest
> to goodness car trailer. People tell me they're easier than a dolly,
> but I'm so used to the latter that I'm going to stick with them.

I used one once because the trip was so great that I didn't want to put
more than a thousand miles on half my tires. No big deal. Then again I
was pulling it with a big Penske truck. This was the Duster, by the way.
I just left it in "Park" with the brake off and drove on.

> Check your automatic transmission fluid when you get home. If it's
> black or stinks, change it.

Yurgh. I have to change ALL the fluids this weekend. You should smell
the brake fluid! ;P

Farrar

--
Farrar Hudkins