From: content22207 [mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 6:17 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Farrar Towing Louie

Didn't you see Message #10004? Louie's cars don't break down. For the life
of me I don't understand why he tip toes around #5252 (or #10115) like they
were made of egg shells.

If you've got a traditional step bumper bolted directly to the frame your
Ranger should be good for at least 3,500 lbs Gross Towing Weight. The dolly
itself weighs next to nothing.

I fully agree with Scott Mueller -- driving with a brakeless dolly behind
you is tricky, but doable. DRIVE SENSIBLY. Minimize distractions in the cab.
Watch other drivers doubly hard. Plan ahead for lane changes, stops, etc.
Don't back up if you can help it. Don't forget your safety chains (I like to
criss cross them under the tongue). Even though the wheel wells have their
own restraints, a couple of well placed come-alongs wouldn't hurt.

Here's a good question: If you buy an automatic DeLo, does anybody know how
to isolate the transmission? Do you simply remove the drive axles? I doubt
if you can tow it around attached to the rear wheels without grinding up the
clutch discs.

Don't try to dolly it backwards. That's asking TOO much from the steering
wheel lock.

I've dragged two cars home from Ohio, plus several around North Carolina,
all with dollys. The one thing I've never towed is an honest to goodness car
trailer. People tell me they're easier than a dolly, but I'm so used to the
latter that I'm going to stick with them.

Check your automatic transmission fluid when you get home. If it's black or
stinks, change it.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins@xxxx> wrote:
>I don't have a kit, I just have to buy the hitch ball that fits into
the
> hole on my bumper. It wasn't there when I bought the thing. Dunno if
the
> PO removed it or what ...!
>
> But that's good news, then, Louie, if your car breaks down on I-95, I
> can pull it along. After all, I owe you a ride in my vehicle since you
> gave me a ride in yours. Of course I know it wouldn't quite be the
same.
>   LOL
>
> Farrar
>
> Louie Golden wrote:
> > Many years ago my parents had a '93 Ford Aerostar with a 3.0 v6
and it pulled our 21' ski boat, which with trailor and all I'm sure weighed
roughly as much as a DeLo does. DeLoreans weigh a little more than 2800 lbs
btw. The van had no problems BACKING the boat up my driveway, which Bill can
attest to, is one hell of a slope. Unless you have a really cheap cheesy
aftermarket towing kit, your little truck should do just fine. -Louie

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: