From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Josh Haldeman
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:59 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [DML] DeLorean Owners Association??

Kevin,

Yes, this is the same debate we seem doomed to continue until the end of
time, unless we do something about it.  Yes, I understand that your point is
that you don't see the value in having a national organization for the
DeLorean automobile anymore, because the internet forums provide the same
thing one would get from these types of communities, but for free.

My point is that if you put the same effort into the DOA as you put into the
DMA, or even that we've been putting into this discussion, we would see the
DOA produce things of TANGIBLE value to the community and yourself.  But we
can't do anything if the community continues to expend all its energy on
what this organization has done wrong, and no one steps forward to help us
realize the possibilities of what it can be.

Here's an example of the reason why you don't see more tangible products
being produced by the DOA today:

I agree with part of your assessment of our website language.  I personally
think the part about being the "largest independent car organization in the
world" is outright laughable.  I don't know who wrote that crap, but it's
not based in any kind of reality, and I would be all too glad to change it.
In fact, I maintain the website.so why don't I change it?  Well, as you
know, every decision in an organization run by a Board of Directors has to
be approved by the board.  I'm even speaking out of turn by commenting on
this thread at all, because I don't speak with prior Board consent.  I have
requested a Board meeting to discuss what our replies should be here, but
unfortunately, with members spaced out from LA to Belfast, finding a time
that everyone can do a conference call is a challenge. (not every Board
member has access to e-mail)  I don't in anyway condone what happened when
Directors were required to attend a monthly meeting in person in LA, but I
can CERTAINLY see the value in having such a meeting.  I imagine in that day
and age, things actually got done in a timely fashion.  It's a shame that
the direction at the time was not one most people were interested in seeing
pursued, including me, as it could have really been something outstanding.

So.how do we fix this?  In my opinion, the conversation MUST move beyond,
"what the DOA did to wrong me", and we should instead ask ourselves, "what
could the DOA be for us?"  Despite my best efforts to steer the conversation
to the latter, it keeps coming back to the former.  Maybe I'm being too
ambitious.  Maybe I need to first ask, how can the DOA redeem itself in your
eyes, so that we may be allowed to move forward and start working for the
good of the community again?

I welcome your input!

Josh

Josh Haldeman - Vice-President