[DML] Re: Best way to shift for better fuel economy?

[DML] Re: Best way to shift for better fuel economy?

Driver's schools in my country train students to use all gears, but shift quickly upwards not using high RPM ranges.
First is only used to pull out, make the car move, then shift up to second.
I find that a D is capable of cruising in 5th at approx. 40 MpH.

Students are also taught when approaching a red light, to let the car roll in gear until almost full stop (don't forget to use the clutch in the very last moment :)

Again it's personal, but if you really want to be fuel efficient, use a bicycle or with little cost a small fuel efficient car.

A D isn't very fuel efficient but on a long drive (mostly highways) a manual can get easily over 26 Miles out of a Gallon.
To get that result you don't have to be very gentle with the accelerator, nor have to stay at the safe side of 75 MpH, even with a car packed for long trips.

Welmoed.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sidaries@... wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I know it is better not to skip any gears. Use all and use the
> highest possible gear. I use 3th or 4th for city cruising (50kph) and
> 5th outside from city. I think, the best rpm for the Delorean is
> around 1800-2000 if you want the best fuel economy.
>
> Viktor
>

> Idézet (daviddelorean <daviddelorean@...>):
>
> > I always assumed that starting in 2nd gear, skipping gears, and
> > keeping shifts low was the best way to get better gas miles.
> > However, in chats with other car enthusiasts they told me that makes
> > fuel economy worse, because the car is struggling in lower gears.
> >
> > So what is better to save gas?
> >
> > Shifting in a patter 2-4-5
> >
> > OR
> >
> > Shifting in a pattern 1-2-3-4-5
> >
> > Also what RPM should shift be kept at or under?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)