Re: [DML] Re: COMPUTER GOV.

The Plug-and-Play idea came from Don Steger during a conversation that we
had at DCS last year. He wanted it badly, so I mulled it over for a bit and
realized that it really could be done!

My first unit did have a new cable wired into the empty governor housing,
just to get the speed transducer signals out to the engine compartment. Now
if the existing cable is still good, I just tap into that... and the old,
broken existing governor stays in the housing and makes the connection
between the existing cable and the transducer. It turns out that the two
input diodes on those lines isolate the old governor circuitry from the new
working governor.

---Jeff---

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 7:15 AM, d_rex_2002 <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jeff and others,
>
> I have been working on a digital re-design "trans-puter"
> for several years now, with extended testing (4 years +)
> with thousands of troule free miles, from Spring to Fall
> up here in the "Rust Belt" of the Midwest.
>
> Although my initial re-design of the board was made to
> fit the same "foot-print" of the original board, for a
> direct replacement, I followed a similar frame of thought
> as Jeff, Elvis, Rick G. and others to place the new board
> in a "remote box" in a much cooler area of the engine
> compartment, away from exhaust, trans and engine heat.
>
> Although there was some initial interest by several of the
> DeLorean vendors, the project has lingered, possibly due
> to the "remote box" not being accepted for "stock" install
> reasons. A remote box would not be "concours" acceptable.
>
> Even if the remote box is better, there appears to be some
> resistance to going this route (maybe by purists, others?)
> and as Rick G. mentioned, there is a lot of manual re-work
> and re-soldering to 28+ year old wiring to retro-fit them.
>
> With all this in mind, I really like the idea that Jeff has
> come up with...basically a plug-and-play remote box design.
> Although I have not seen it yet in person, this sounds like
> its a great improvement combined with ease of installation.
>
> I may pick up one of Jeff's proto-types, if I have time to
> play with it before DCS 2009, but if not, I will certainly
> be checking out the "finished" version available in Vegas.
> Kudos to Jeff, adding an easy install to the remote box idea.
>
> Later,
> Rich W.
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com>, Jeff Angwin
> <jangwin@...> wrote:
> >
> > I have been working on a redesign of the Automatic Transmission Governor,
> > and have a few prototypes made. Have been using one in my car for almost
> > year now, and it works great.
> >
> > snip <
> >
> > - I have designed the governor to fit in a box that is attached into the
> > engine compartment. It makes installation very easy. In fact, you DO NOT
> > have to remove your old broken governor from the car to install mine! I
> have
> > devised a way to attach a connector to the existing cable that runs from
> the
> > AT connector block already in the car to the existing governor. My
> governor
> > simply plugs into the connector that you add. My governor then takes over
> > for the now benign existing governor.
> >
> > - Installation takes 30 minutes or so (the time to attach the connector)
> and
> > you do not have to do anything under the car at all.
> >
> > snip <
> >
> > Jeff Angwin
> > VIN 3034
> > Angwin Design