[DML] Re: COMPUTER GOV.

As bad as the shift controller is and as bad as it's placement, it is VERY possible to replace the capacitors, any bad transistors, redoe all of the solder joints, fix any burnt traces, and reseal it. I agree that it *may* be better to "improve" upon it but the origonal unit can be made very reliable. Of the many I have fixed I have only had one not work right the first time. I have also helped many owners fix their own and in most cases (I assume depending on how handy they are with a soldering iron) they were able to successfully repair it themselves. Too many forget that you MUST do ALL of the On-Car adjustments and checks to assure the proper operation of the automatic transmission. They can be just as important as getting the shift controller to work corrrectly. In particular, setting the Line pressure and making sure the vacuum modulator is hooked up and working. The other very important point I want to add is that I have seen too many with burnt-up wiring harnesses. That is probably what takes out the power transistors. The wiring harness MUST be zip-tied AWAY from the exhaust pipes so it can't burn. Everything has to be done right to get the automatic transmission to work correctly for a long time. I not seen an automatic transmission actually worn out from use. They seem to last a pretty long time if they are taken care of.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12@...> wrote:

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@> wrote:
> >
> > After about 10 repaired Governors and almost 20 years of
> > electronics experience I still don't get why jump starting
> > would kill the governor ?
>
> snip...
>
> > moving the electronics away from the heat and vibrations of the
> > tranny will increase its lifetime extremely !!!
> >

> > I'd be interested to see those new PCB's that different
> > people/groups developed over the last years, but I'd never
> > give up my 5 speed for it :-)
> >
> > Elvis & 6548
>
> Hi Elvis.
>
> Agreed.
>
> It's a harsh environment for a printed circuit board (PCB), especially a 27 year old phenolic board.  Hot and shaky.
>
> There are many interesting things that one could do with today's technology, while making that product better, stronger, faster.
>
> I agree that the solder joints are a weak point.  At one point, I reverse engineered that circuit board, in order to design a replacement (I'm a professional printed circuit designer).The manual labor involved in that soldering operation is one of the factors that caused me to drop the project.
>
> And the mouse nest is out of my car now.  You took a picture of it.  If you still have that picture of it, can I have a copy?  That was funny.
>
> Rick Gendreau
> 11472.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional