Re: [DML] COMPUTER GOV.

I have been working on a redesign of the Automatic Transmission Governor,
and have a few prototypes made. Have been using one in my car for almost a
year now, and it works great.

I have retained the same analog circuitry of the original (it really is a
brilliant design, just not a brilliant implementation), but I use newer,
more available parts, and a better, double-sided circuit board. I have also
improved the design in five ways:

- There are anecdotal reports of the governor failing when the Delorean is
jump-started. Toward this end I have added protection circuitry created for
the automotive industry that protects against voltage spikes, reverse
polarity and over-current conditions on the board (like short circuits) The
protection insures that the voltage on the governor never exceeds 14 volts
or so, and any transient voltage spikes are removed.

- I have replaced the power transistors that switch the high current to the
transmission solenoids with miniature solid state relays. The contact
resistance is very very low, so practically no power is dissipated across
the switch when it is passing current. They do not get hot, like the
original switching transistors do. No heat-syncing is required

- I have designed the governor to fit in a box that is attached into the
engine compartment. It makes installation very easy. In fact, you DO NOT
have to remove your old broken governor from the car to install mine! I have
devised a way to attach a connector to the existing cable that runs from the
AT connector block already in the car to the existing governor. My governor
simply plugs into the connector that you add. My governor then takes over
for the now benign existing governor.

- Installation takes 30 minutes or so (the time to attach the connector) and
you do not have to do anything under the car at all.

- The package includes a set of LED's that are mounted under the dash, so
you can see when and how the transmission is shifting.

This is a really great product, as I said, I have been using mine for almost
a year with no problems. I am gearing up to produce them in some quantity,
and I do plan on having them available in quantity for sale at DCS West in
Las Vegas in Sept.

As I said, I DO have a few prototypes now. The prototypes were built just to
see if the circuit board was designed properly (it almost was... the
publicly published schematic had a few errors on it, which have been
corrected)

So, if you are interested, I can sell you a prototype. The going cost to
rebuild an existing governor is $250 - and you've seen that it can be an
iffy situation. My price for the finished product has not been determined
yet, but until my few prototypes are gone, I will sell you one of them for
that same $250 (plus shipping) you'd pay someone else to rebuild yours. The
hassle of having to remove and replace the old-design governor is almost
worth that alone!

So, if anyone is interested, please contact me off-list at jangwin(at)
gmail.com. First come-first served. If you have any questions about my
governor, or the computer governor in general, lets discuss them here.

Jeff Angwin
VIN 3034
Angwin Design

> I am on my 3rd computer gov. Has anyone com up with a better unit? My third
> one just went south. thanks

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: