Re: [DML] Lotus Esprit Rear Suspension

Jake

Thanks for the encouragement ;) I'm working hard to make it a reality...

As I have stated in my previous post (the very long one) by saying that this
joint doesn't work I didn't mean that the suspension or the car doesn't
work. It was an exaggeration to make my point. But when you think about it,
this joint truly doesn't work. It just crushes the bushing and bends the
shock. There is no real movement in this joint. The front lower shock mount
joint works great... the rear doesn't.
I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.

Jake, does this joint work just fine on your car? Are you sure? If you are,
I can change your mind ;) Jack up the rear of the car and remove the shock
from the bolt that supports it at the wheel hub. Examine the bushing
carefully. Now, it doesn't matter if the shock has been on the car for 27
years, or 27 days. (Although, if you have not replaced the shocks since new
it might be a good idea to think about replacement now ;) ) You will notice
how crushed the bushing is. On top of that, most of the long support bolts
that I've seen where slightly bent at the point where they exit the wheel
hub mount. On my car the bend was so severe that I had to cut those bolts in
order to remove them from the hubs. Both of them!
Ok, my car being driven first in New Jersey and now in Poland (with a few
years in Florida) has probably seen more rough roads in it's life than
average DeLorean does, but doesn't explain the bad design. Crushed bushings,
bent support bolts, bent TABs... it should NEVER happen! All this leads me
again to one conclusion - very poor design by Lotus.

The suspension should allow free movement throughout the entire range of
travel with rigid bushings (metal tubes). The bushings are there to cushion
vibration (to make the ride smoother) and to allow for some controlled
movement as to avoid failure. In case of the DeLorean the rear shock would
crack/bend/snap if the bushing was replaced with a rigid one.

Please, give me some credit if it doesn't make much sense... English is my
second language! That's why I'm taking a bunch of pictures... a picture is
worth a thousand words and it will help greatly in trying to explain my
ideas ;)

Take care,

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
dmctom@xxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com