[DML] It's just a car club, why the power trip? DMA MEMBERS READ!

[DML] It's just a car club, why the power trip? DMA MEMBERS READ!

I realize the content of this message is targeted to DeLorean Mid Atlantic members.  However, I think it is a good topic for discussion for any DeLorean clubs.  It seems there is a trend of people volunteering for leadership roles within the DeLorean community, and people who were previously close friends and people I respected have become MAD WITH POWER.  We have seen this in the past with the DOA, as well as other regional clubs.  The DMA is close to my heart because I played no small part in making it what it is today.  I am afraid for what it may become.

Below is a message I sent to the DMA officers.  They have chose to not respond to it.  I'd be interested in hearing from other people active in the DMA and other clubs if I am being unreasonable with this.

DMA Officers,

I felt it proper to address the officers with some concerns with hopes to not take it to the members and create any unnecessary disruption to the club.

The members list received a notice yesterday that 2 new files had been posted to the Yahoo group.  One of those being the guidelines for the Charles Muffley award, and the other being the meeting minutes for an officer call held on Thursday Evening.

My compliments to the new officers on getting these posted.  It is something that we slacked off on the past 3 years.

BUT; For some reason, the minutes from the call were quickly removed from the site, but not before I downloaded a copy.   There are some things in it that I find alarming;

A section called "Guidelines for Officer Procedures" (Sound's like another way of saying "Bylaws"), there is a change in procedure on "Renting DeLoreans" which reads-

> Renting Deloreans
> If officers receive a request for a rental, the officers will decide
> what member or member’s cars, including officers, would be suited best
> to fulfill the requirement. A vote will be taken on who’s car or cars
> is/are best suited for the rental among the officers and simple majority
> will rule.
>
> Delorean Rental Listed as Benefits of Membership on new website
>
> All Officers Approve

Now, aside from the obvious conflict of interest for an officer to conduct "insider trading" to rent out their own DeLorean (as has already been done by one officer), this is a change to the Bylaws.  The current DMA bylaws Article 8 section 1 specifically state "...Bylaws may be amended by majority vote of the members present at any annual general meeting, organized voting system, regular or special meeting of the members called for that purpose."  So, the officers ARE NOT PERMITTED to make changes to the Bylaws ONLY THE MEMBERS ARE.  Furthermore, if the DMA is going to get in to the business of renting out cars it would be proper to clearly state in Article 1 as a new "Purpose" of the club.

This renting DeLoreans issue is an illegal vote.  Anyone contacting the officers to rent a DeLorean for an event should be passed directly to the members as it has always been done.

The other item that I find alarming is a topic that was tabled until the next meeting titled "Taking ownership of responsibilities and making decisions".  Let me save you all some work on this one.  The bylaws clearly state Article 1 Section 1, "The DMA will be governed by a committee of officers with equal power."  If you desire to change that, please (again) see Article 8 Section 1.

I look forward to hearing your response to these issues.

Thanks,
Marc Levy

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional