[DML] Re: DCS 2008 + DeLorean Archive = The Fairy Tree

[DML] Re: DCS 2008 + DeLorean Archive = The Fairy Tree

Not being privy to all of the materiel you are able to research I
always thought the major reasons for the failure were:

Being forced by agreement to ramp up production even when the cars
were not selling

The Economy slowing down and hurting sales

The negative reviews on the early cars

Not coming to market on time

(The biggie) The British Government demanding payments on the loans
and holding back payment installments. I know JZD should have been
able to pay the financing on the sale of the cars but the triple
whammy of falling sales, increasing production, and holding back the
financing forced DMC into Bankrupcy. He could have continued a little
longer (and maybe that would have been enough?) if Thatcher and her
government allowed the financing to continue. No one ever claimed JZD
did all of this out of the goodness of his heart. He was in this to
make money. He also had the ego, the drive, and the qualifacations to
do it. Also remember Lear fan went down at the same time for what I
believe were similar reasons. DMC also had problems collecting on
damages from a riot and the government held back on that too. If JZD's
greed had anything to do with it that in and of itself IMHO was not
the penultimate cause. All of the investigations after the demise of
DMC could not find any single cause. Aurthur Anderson (the accounting
firm) ultimately DID have to reemburse the British Government. Maybe
they can be the "villain"? Or maybe they just had some money and the
British Government was able to bully them into paying?
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "deloreanarchive"
<deloreanarchive@...> wrote:

> I have been collecting DMC material for the past 20+ years and am
> personal friends with many former executives, employees and others
> related to DMC and, up to now, I have kept my mouth shut regarding the
> failure of DMC.  Honestly, it was John's own greed that destroyed the
> company.  No more, no less.  No conspiracy.  No evil person or group.
>  No menacing government.  No tree.  It was simply greed for money
and ego.

> Those who have seen the museum know that I have acquired thousands of
> documents, many from DMC itself along with many of a more personal
> nature (diaries, notes, etc) from former executives.  Don't kid
> yourselves...John was no saint and wanted nothing more than to take
> DMC public in order to make his convertible partnership shares worth
> millions.
>
> My goal with the museum was to give an interesting look into the car
> as a whole from inception to end, not to rehash the dirt, however, I
> am tired of hearing the 'saint' type comments when it comes to JZD.
> My advice for those who disagree with me is to read all of the books
> (minus his autobiography which is amusing at best) mesh everything
> together and this will give you a realistic picture of went went wrong.
>
> I'm sure I'm stirring up a hornets nest with these comments, but what
> the heck.
>
> Matt
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe Gravelle" <skateboarderx24@>
> wrote:
> >
> > If only they had left it alone, like build the factory around it
> :).. that
> > would have been interesting
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Kevin Abato <delorean@> wrote:
> >
> > >   It was a tree on the property that via Irish legend was
inhabited by
> > > fairies.
> > >
> > > Legend tells that if you cut down the fairy's home (a.k.a. The
> tree) you
> > > would have bad luck.
> > >
> > > Nobody wanted to cut it down, and a reward was offered to anyone
brave
> > > enough to do it. There were still no takers. Eventually it was
> removed since
> > > it was in the center of the factory's floor plan and had to be
> removed.
> > >
> > > Obviously no bad luck came of it since Delore...... Oh.... Wait....
> > > Nevermind. ;)
> > >
> > > Kevin Abato
> > > VIN# 16680
> > > www.grenexmedia.com

Nick
> > > Sutton confirmed that
> > > both of which were on
> > > tree that George and
> > > with the discovery!

> > > What exactly is a "Fairy Tree" I googled it but I don't get it.
I want
> > > to say that I understand its part of Irish legend.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)