[DML] Re: DCS 2008 + DeLorean Archive = The Fairy Tree

[DML] Re: DCS 2008 + DeLorean Archive = The Fairy Tree

Some of that is correct,But Basically from studying/keeping a
interest in his career since the early 1970's,I found that JZD was
one of THE best Speakers/ Salesman ever,But he was NOT into the day
to day operations of any of his Businesses,his mindset was always
salesmanship/showmanship,in fact it was very rare indeed to find JZD
at the Delorean Factory,(or earlier at the GM Factories)as that was
not his thing(running a business)he hired the best people for that,he
lived for his New York Park Ave HQ and for the next thrill ride of
opportunity that came along...and that was one of his faults,relying
on others to get the job done...but done HIS way (ie: the Gullwing
doors only and not regular doors/the parcel shelf behind the seats to
fit a bag of golf clubs,rather than make the car mid-engined,No
Paint,no other roof options etc(even tho having the other options on
the above might have saved his company)He also used the Bricklin as a
poster child of how NOT to make his car(if you notice he either did
the opposite of the Bricklin engineering or improved upon it)He saw
the failures with the Bricklin and was trying to avoid the same
pitfalls/mistakes that Mal Bricklin made..(Bricklin and JZD WERE
friends)You might even say that the startup and failure of the
Bricklin was what JZD needed to startup his Dreams of making his own
gullwing sports car.
In a nutshell it
was the thrill of being in charge/seeking new opportunities,that made
him get up in the morning...and when that all started to fall
apart.... A Desperate man does crazy things...we all know what
happened.I was always into JZD since I got my very first car in the
early 1970's which was HIS first Car the Pontiac GTO,(six of them and
later six deloreans))and STILL have one of his cars,no not a Delorean
but his "second" car a Chevy(Motion)Vega.
Claude

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...>
wrote:

> Not being privy to all of the materiel you are able to research I
> always thought the major reasons for the failure were:
>
> Being forced by agreement to ramp up production even when the cars
> were not selling
>
> The Economy slowing down and hurting sales
>
> The negative reviews on the early cars
>
> Not coming to market on time
>
> (The biggie) The British Government demanding payments on the loans
> and holding back payment installments. I know JZD should have been
> able to pay the financing on the sale of the cars but the triple
> whammy of falling sales, increasing production, and holding back the
> financing forced DMC into Bankrupcy. He could have continued a
little
> longer (and maybe that would have been enough?) if Thatcher and her
> government allowed the financing to continue. No one ever claimed
JZD
> did all of this out of the goodness of his heart. He was in this to
> make money. He also had the ego, the drive, and the qualifacations
> do it. Also remember Lear fan went down at the same time for what I
> believe were similar reasons. DMC also had problems collecting on
> damages from a riot and the government held back on that too. If
JZD's
> greed had anything to do with it that in and of itself IMHO was not
> the penultimate cause. All of the investigations after the demise of
> DMC could not find any single cause. Aurthur Anderson (the
accounting
> firm) ultimately DID have to reemburse the British Government. Maybe
> they can be the "villain"? Or maybe they just had some money and the
> British Government was able to bully them into paying?
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]

<*> Your email settings: