Re: [DML] DeLorean Thoughts (Andy)

I could be wrong, but as I read your post I get the impression you
think the carburetion conversion in question is requested out of
naivete'. The person requesting it assures me such is not the case. I
choose to accept him at his word.

Regarding the cost of intake manifolds:
Brand new carbureted manifold: $600 +/- $20
Brand new K-Jet manifold: $590.03
http://www.delorean.com/store/p-6432-intake-manifold.aspx
Seems nearly identical to me.

The remainder of your cost estimate is accurate, but how does that
number compare to the combined cost of a fuel/air mixture unit, fuel
distributor, CPR, injectors, high pressure fuel pump, accumulator,
high pressure fuel filter, attendant plumbing, washers, & banjo bolts,
microswitches, CIS motor, perhaps a frequency valve, and so on? The
cost of all those parts surely exceeds $300.

Your post totally fails to mention access advantages of carburetion. A
carbureted owner can look into his or her intake valley with the
manifold in place. He or she can be in there for actual work in less
than 5 minutes. The ignition distributor is of course totally exposed,
as is the clutch slave cylinder, heater core takeoff barb, shutoff
valve, and bleeder T, and everything else normally covered by a K-Jet
fuel/air mixture unit. A MegaSquirt conversion offers these same
access advantages, but that is not the conversion that was requested.

You seem to think that a carburetor conversion is time intensive. That
is untrue. A carbureted manifold is installed as quickly as it is
removed: Less than 5 minutes. A carb is only held down by four nuts,
and there are only 3 hoses and one electrical line to attach. Not
counting installation of a new throttle cable, you're looking at about
15 minutes start to finish. I'd be more than happy to do a conversion
in the parking lot at DCS to demonstrate (give me enough advance time
to order another intake manifold & carb).

Remember that 15 minutes is INSTALLATION only. Removal of the old
K-Jet can take more than an hour.

The single most important point about a carburetor conversion is that
it is *NOT* permanent. Absolutely no modifications are made to the
engine whatsoever. If K-Jet were simpler to install, an owner could
swap back and forth between the two willy-nilly. Other posters have
claimed a carburetor conversion somehow ruins the car. Thank you for
not making that same mistake.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Soma576@... wrote:
>
> I really do not care what Bill or Farrar or anyone else for that
matter  does
> with their own car.  After all, they own it and can do anything they
 want.
> You can have steam power, propane, compressed air power,  whatever.
 But what
> gets me is this...
 Andy

<*> Your email settings: