Re: [DML] DeLorean Thoughts While Raking Pine Straw (COME TO DCS!!)

Re: [DML] DeLorean Thoughts While Raking Pine Straw (COME TO DCS!!)

I really do not care what Bill or Farrar or anyone else for that matter  does
with their own car.  After all, they own it and can do anything they  want.
You can have steam power, propane, compressed air power,  whatever.  But what
gets me is this:

Bill's main argument, as I see it, is his claim that carbureting is an
economically feasible alternative to K-Jet.  Even if one were to throw out  the
loss in vehicle value, which is clearly not important to him, he still
recommends carbureting as a cheap alternative.  Now, it comes out that an  intake
manifold will cost $600 just to mate everything up.  Then of course  there is all
the other bits and pieces, not to mention the carburetor, to make  everything
work.  So, we have to be talking at least $800 parts plus a lot  of time and
dealing with fabrication, blueprints, etc.  Guess it's not that  cheap after all!

Now, we have a relatively new owner (we were all new once) whose car has
some minor fuel delivery/running/idle issues (we have all had those) who over
the last few months, appears to be making steady progress in fixing things up
properly.  I have a hard time believing $800 won't fix whatever else is  wrong
with that car's fuel system.   I also believe that if this  owner's K-Jet
suddenly started working properly, he would not give carbureting a  second
thought.

The biggest problem with K-Jet is it seems like after all these  years, there
are a lot of D's with messed up fuel systems, either from  storage or
improper 'repairs'. Many of these cars suffer from multiple problems  which can be
hard to diagnose quickly.  Often, you fix one problem and  another creeps up.
However, once all the issues are fixed, K-Jet seems to  hold its tune very well
and operates fine in all climates.

What I am trying to say is that I think an owner in this situation will be
much more satisfied in the end knowing they conquered these problems and  their
car is running properly (for probably less money) rather than just  throwing
money at it and giving up on K-Jet.   Clearly Bill's time  putting this whole
thing together is his time and it's worth what it is, and he  is lucky to have
spent very little on his carb system.  It doesn't look  like anyone else will
be able to do that easily.

OK that's all I have to say on this topic.  Good luck to both of  you!

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596
2008 Subaru Legacy  Limited