Re: [DML] Window Motor update!

Tom Tait wrote:

>My wife and I have both tried for nearly an hour each to install the new upgraded unit from houston.  Its like trying to fit a suit of armor into a beer bottle.  I'm sure it fits somehow, but we can not get it into the door.
>
>Any tips?
>
>Tom

First step would be to ring the supplier who you bought it from... but
here're a few tips

- You have to disassemble the new motor into two parts by undoing the
three 10mm bolts that hold the motor/gear assembly to the slider (don't
lose the three black plastic spacers)

- you have to remove the bracket that the grab handle mounts to. This
then allows much more space to move the assembly about and reassemble
all three bolts, but watch out for those sharp edges!

- The bolt that threads into the elbow of the slider will be going
through the OTHER hole in the grab handle bracket (this is the primary
design flaw in the original regulator - the slider does not run parallel
to the window runners, but the hole is there and is unused).

- BOTH "legs" mount to the SAME thread at the motor end of the assembly.
One then bolts to an upper hole, the other to a lower hole, and you will
require a nut and bolt to affix the lower one.

- thread ALL bolts loosely before tightening any of them up. The two
little "legs" and the slider itself will flex when tightening them all
up. When finished, you'll probably wonder if you've got it right,
because the assembly just hangs there at a funny angle. Relax, that's
what it looks like.

I actually quite enjoy this job...! It's probably the best example on a
DeLorean of "easy when you know how".

Martin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional