Re: [DML] DeLorean Thoughts (Andy)

Bill,

Please explain to me an instance where someone would actually have to replace their K-Jet intake manifold in order to get their car to run like it should.? The cost of the manifold is completely irrelevant because there is no conceivable reason someone should have to replace this part unless it has a big crack in it!? However, the $600 cost of the carb?manifold IS relevant when switching to carbs because it is a necessary component of the conversion!

And yes, the replacement cost is high of all of the K-Jet parts you mentioned.... but it is also highly unlikely for someone to need to replace all of those parts.? A high idle problem is usually solved by fixing simple vacuum leaks, adjusting the throttle, checking all of the microswitches, etc.? Pretty cheap, but high on labor.? Luckily most owners can do this stuff on their own.?

Access advantages are a point well taken, but I know that once you complete a thorough 20-year clean-up of the VOD and replace those pesky vacuum hoses, switches, and radiator hoses, you will not have to go in there again for perhaps another 20 years.? Clutch fluid change, OK, it may be more convenient, but hundreds of owners have changed their clutch fluid hundreds of times?with the stock setup and it's no big deal.? Spark plugs are annoying, but again - a semi-decade ritual.?

It's great that you have had good luck with your car and I hope I get to see it (and drive it) sometime... but I think it is poor advice to recommend to owners who haven't quite sorted everything out to dump the K-Jet and go carb.? All of your advantages are marginal and are unappealing to anyone who has a properly-running K-Jet system in the first place.? That's all I am trying to say.?

BTW, your offer of converting a car to carb in the parking lot at DCS sounds pretty damn entertaining.? I hope you do this, and I would love to see it!? Unfortunately I will not be at DCS this year....? maybe someone can video tape it for the DVD?

Andy

Regarding the cost of intake manifolds:
Brand new carbureted manifold: $600 +/- $20
Brand new K-Jet manifold: $590.03
http://www.delorean.com/store/p-6432-intake-manifold.aspx
Seems nearly identical to me.

The remainder of your cost estimate is accurate, but how does that
number compare to the combined cost of a fuel/air mixture unit, fuel
distributor, CPR, injectors, high pressure fuel pump, accumulator,
high pressure fuel filter, attendant plumbing, washers, & banjo bolts,
microswitches, CIS motor, perhaps a frequency valve, and so on? The
cost of all those parts surely exceeds $300.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)