RE: [DML] Door locks and exterior door handle questions

I read Joe's advice as to remove the front lock rod, not the striker bolt(there are multiple posts and this was the one I liked).  That sounds fine to me, but I wonder how may are running their cars this way.

-----Original Message-----
From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of deloreanernst@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sat 4/26/2008 8:21 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Door locks and exterior door handle questions

3. The front door lock is jamming every time the lock is used. I found a post
from a few years back where it was suggested that I could remove the locking rod
from the front latches on the doors with no real repercussions.  This is
supposed to make it much easier to adjust the door linkages so they work
properly, the only downside being that after doing this only the rear latch will
lock when one locks the car.  Every other car I have ever owned has been just
fine with only one locking latch per door - has anyone tried this mod, and with
what results?>>

That was suggested by former DML contributor "DMC Joe" (Joe LoRe,) and I don't recall any complaints on the DML, but I know one vendor in particular who disses the idea. (Maybe more. Maybe he thinks it's less safe.) I definitely wouldn't remove the front Striker (Nader) Bolt as was suggested. Then it can't lock OR latch up front either. If the Striker Bolt was in the center of the bottom door sill, opposite the hinge, as in the prototype, it would be fine. But given the side location, both should latch for maximum body integrity in case of a crash.

Before you decide, here's how the latch works: when you close the door correctly, both latches grip (and actually lock onto) their respective Striker Bolt. They can't release until you lift a door handle, which pulls the unlatch control rod to allow the door to open. (There is no rod to latch- it always relatches itself. They're spring loaded.) When you flip the lock lever to the lock position, in effect it disconnects the unlatch control rod. It doesn't double lock or lock more securely. It simply prevents unlatching. So you don't weaken the "locking" effect by disconnecting the front lock control rod. The front lock control rod is the longest and floppiest of the set, by the way. I haven't disconnected mine, but that's partly because it's attached to the Wings Aloft remote door unlocker/opener I installed.

BTW, the adjustment of the Upper Latching Bellcrank is the what most often throws off the lock function. Incorrect adjustment makes it easy to close or lock, but hard to open or unlock. Adjusting the Lock Control Rods is pretty simple. The Latch Control Rods are the killer.

Wayne A. Ernst
vin 11174
Bridgeton, NJ

<*> Your email settings: