From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Elvis
Sent: Sun 4/27/2008 1:07 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: recharging my R-12 system with R-416A (another update on #2613)

Farrar - I always use R413a which is meant for substituting R12, too.

but the system is anything but empty as long as the compressor even
turns on, there is at least 50% still in there !!!
normally they refill about 1 pound on my car - which, if I remember
correctly, is only 1/3. So this is far away from free of coolant...

Is there a special place on the system which tends to leak most ?
first I had to refill it every 2 years, now it needed a refill
after only a few months. who has experience with it ?

Elvis & 6548

> Gang,
>
> Despite the fact that the can says "To be used by EPA certified
> personnel only," I picked up two cans of R-416A yesterday. (a.k.a.
FR-12.)

> Since my A/C clutch cycles once every few seconds and the air
coming out
> is as warm as when I merely use the vent, I believe I can safely
assume
> that the system is free of coolant.
>
> In the DML archive there are posts which say "mixing refrigerants
is
> dangerous" and others which say "it's not dangerous, but
technicians
> won't touch your car if you mix refrigerants." The guy at NAPA who
has
> worked on my other car for years says that I can put FR-12 into a
system
> with a tiny amount of R-12 in it and have no ill effects.
>
> My car has NOT undergone a conversion to R-134A. Even if there is
any
> R-12 left in the system, it can't be that much, since the a/c
clutch
> engages so many times per minute.
>
> So following the fuel distributor O-ring replacement (which should
be
> fine now that the car has been sitting for the better part of a
week --
> assuming I can find torque specs for the silly M5 bolts), I will
fire up
> the car and charge the system with R-416A as my next task in
preparation
> for Gettysburg. :) Just for a change, the list of things to do on
the
> car is getting shorter not longer ... heh.
>
> Cheers,
> Farrar Hudkins
> #2613 (auto)

<*> Your email settings: