[DML] DeLorean shops and "tech support" (was: Broken Angle Drive = Fault

[DML] DeLorean shops and "tech support" (was: Broken Angle Drive = Faulty mileage?)

Thanks, tuxr, for speaking up. I, too, know of a reputable Euro shop
here but am hesitant to bring my D to them for many reasons. Even though
they have signs in the window saying they are Volvo and Bosch experts, I
have never used them before. (My friend takes her ancient Volvo there
and likes them, but in my experience women get treated differently from
men at car shops: if you're a girl, it's okay not to know everything
about your car, whereas if you're a guy, you're an idiot for not knowing.)

I had no idea that Grady or anyone else would willingly help out another
mechanic. Granted, it would be awfully nice to help out someone who
lives far away from the nearest D shop, but it just wouldn't be
profitable, and I always assume that people who run shops aren't going
to do anything unless they can make money from it. It's nice to know
that I can call someone for help if I get stuck working on the car -- or
if my guy at the shop down the street (who is so far disappointed that
he hasn't been able to plunge his hands into my "gorgeous machine" as he
calls it) gets stuck and the manuals aren't as much help as he needs! I
keep a set of manuals in the car and another one at home. But perhaps I
should have Grady's number on hand when I attempt my next repair ...
during business hours and on a week day of course. ;-D

By the way, an update on #2613: my new ignition coil is a 45,000-volt
MSD "Blaster 2." The new plug wires are MSDs bought from John Hervey.
Through no fault of his own, there was a problem with one of the boots,
and the new ignition coil exposed a tiny hole in the boot, which by the
time I got the car home (about a mile) had chewed a hole in it like a
rabbit -- the MSD setup sure is powerful enough! I have another boot
coming, but in the meantime as a test I have filled the hole in the
current boot with 100% silicone. I am waiting a day and a night for it
to firm up, and then I will put more on it, on the inside and outside of
the boot (since the hole was so small), and wait until Sunday to
re-install it and fire her up. I will let y'all know if this works
(read: if I can still see spark!). Also, my plugs are currently gapped
at .028" as per spec. With the new setup I may be able to widen the gap
-- and will let you know what the results are when I do so. I'm told I
could widen it to as far as .043" ... not sure why I'd want to. Better
engine efficiency? Anyone care to answer that question?

Cheers,
Farrar Hudkins
#2613 (auto -- parked for a while yet!)

tuxr wrote:

> I was the daily driver you mention below.

[snip!]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: