Re: [DML] DeLorean shops and "tech support"

Farrar wrote:

> By the way, an update on #2613: my new ignition coil is a 45,000-volt
> MSD "Blaster 2."
>  Also, my plugs are currently gapped
> at .028" as per spec. With the new setup I may be able to widen the gap
> -- and will let you know what the results are when I do so. I'm told I
> could widen it to as far as .043" ... not sure why I'd want to. Better
> engine efficiency? Anyone care to answer that question?

The spark plug gap is a simple form of a voltage regulator.  You cannot
produce any more voltage than that required to jump the gap.  So your
45,000 volt coil is useless at the stock spark plug gap, you are not
using any more voltage than you were with your stock coil.  The only
advantage with the extra voltage and not widening the spark plug gap is
you can extend your service life, as the spark plug wears and the gap
widens, you still have enough voltage to run it, but a .043 gap from a
worn plug is not the same as a .043 gap from a new plug.  The new plug
has sharp edges, which allows ions to flow from, which is believed to
create greater combustion efficiency.  This is where multiple electrode
plugs are useful.

Paul

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional