[DML] Treatment of Newbies (was: Leaving The Group)

[DML] Treatment of Newbies (was: Leaving The Group)

Having been in the DeLorean community for close to ten years now,
and having owned 2 DeLoreans, I can say I've pretty well seen it
all. Something that has never stopped angering me is the way
some "veteran" owners treat newcomers. Instead of snidely looking
down our nose at new people and their seemingly inane repetitious
questions, we should be happy! New owners means the marque is
surviving... new generations of people are discovering and buying
DeLoreans, the car won't become a forgotten relic of the past. We
should be welcoming these people with open arms and congratulating
them instead of being snippy and snide with them. If you just simply
can't be bothered to provide someone with a link to a typical
problem, then perhaps you shouldn't be on an internet discussion
forum! If this has all become old news, and newbies bother you, by
all means... don't drag the rest of the group down. There is enough
negativity surrounding the DeLorean without getting
additional "help" within the community! Treat others the way that
they want to be treated, it's very simple. We were all newbies at
one point with the same silly questions.

There is no denying too that the online DeLorean community isn't as
up to date and user friendly as it could be either. I know I heard
the phrase "look it up in the archives" quite a few times in my
first years of the community, not knowing at all how to even locate
the archives, much less search in them lol. The community is just so
fragmented too, and seems to be getting worse daily. There are
groups who want nothing to do with one another in our tiny
community. This all just points to a more systematic than individual
problem... we need more continuity between the websites, vendors,
clubs, and resources; more easy point and click links for common
problems, and more FRIENDLINESS in general!

One of the biggest ironies around here is that so many of us
complain about the way Ed at D-1 treats new owners, but then we turn
around and treat new owners the same way ourselves! Just think back
how daunting it was when you bought your DeLorean and it had it's
first problem. You owned an extinct orphan car who a very select few
have knowledge about how to repair. You couldn't run to your local
Auto Zone for parts, and your local American car repair shop won't
touch your car.  So you come online only to get snippy responses
from jaded people... talk about adding insult to injury!! Regarding
the manuals... not everyone has them. I know I always did, but they
may as well have been written in Greek to me. I just can't read
about how to fix a car... I have to see it done, and have help. Lord
knows not all owners are mechanically inclined either... I know I
sure wasn't! I couldn't have kept my DeLoreans running without the
help and good will of people like Bill Robertson, Jeff Friday, and
so many others.

I know this sounds like I'm picking on Jordin, and believe me I'm
not. He's a great asset to the community with his How To's. I just
challenge him to remember why he created them in the first place:
lack of easy point and click answers and continuity in the DeLorean
community. The issue of newbies asking the same questions shouldn't
be vented onto the individual... it points to a systematic problem.
So perhaps we should be looking instead how to streamline and
combine the DeLorean community instead of further divide it. Maybe
it's time to throw convention out the window again, and start with
some fresh ideas on how to tackle the age old questions of newbie
ownership. Just remember too, it takes more muscles to frown than
smile!!! :-)

Louie Golden
Sometimes DeLorean Owner

<*> Your email settings: