Re: [DML] Re: Installing Turn Signal Under Side Mirror

Re: [DML] Re: Installing Turn Signal Under Side Mirror

Harold:

I am glad you like my set up.

Here are my reasons why I did what I did.? You and I both live and
drive our cars in two different large metropolises and you must have
the same experiences with the pedestrians and drivers on the road who
can have different psychological reactions when they suddenly see the
DeLoreans or any exotic or "usual" cars.   For some, it immediately
cause people in NOT paying or they lose their attention as to what
they are doing or going to which may cause an incident or an
accident.  Our front turning lights, which are recessed and not
completely visible, it also doesn?t help when people are at the side
of our cars.  They just can't see the front or the rear flashing
lights.  With my car, the front and rear ends are lowered and that
doesn't help its visibility either.  I also find that when turning on
intersections, the pedestrians and other motorist all have different
intentions and maneuvers or they don't give a hoot and will even
challenge me as to ?hit? them..... Very rude (NYC) people.  While on
the highway in changing lanes when I had a safe distance for me to do
so (with the flashers on), many times a speeder will start to close
up the gap in the lane that I was merging onto, for he/she was
curious to see my DeLorean or they just want to race me.  Because of
these incidents, I always felt that an added on side turning light on
a DeLorean would help resolve some of these issues.

Before I made the final decision with my setup, I had gotten several
different lights units in the mirror style and with the side makers
style that were available and I physical placed them on many
different areas of the DeLorean until I can find an acceptable
placement.  I had to find a position that the units would be an
effective indicator, while still maintaining the looks and contour of
the DeLorean's bodylines.  I also had to keep away in running
unnecessary wires and or to drill or modify the DeLorean?s body.
Several years ago when I started this project many of the mirror
units and styles available DO NOT blend in with the our DeLorean, for
many of them are fat dumpy looking  -- They are JUST UGLY!   Also
these units will be adding additional weight to the doors further
burdening the torsion bar and struts.  As to the marker lights units
to be mounted on the existing mirrors housing, they too were not
successful without being obtrusive or weird looking.

With the DeLorean?s mirror position, what I did find that any turning
indicator lights whether it is added on, or as a unit with turning
unit built in as a whole, it is a big distraction when flashing.  The
flashing is always "in your face" due to the mirror's position as to
the level of the driver's eye.  This distraction is good for the
surrounding people and other surrounding drivers that is near the
DeLorean as to let them know your intentions, but not for the
DeLorean driver and the passenger for the blinking in the face.
Since I do a lot of night driving and when in the poorly lit roads
and if a mirror turning indicator is turn on, it also leaves a mild
spotting in your eyes.  If a bulb of less lumen is used, the
effectiveness of the turning indicator will be lost in the daytime
for the ambient sun light over takes the weak blinking light.

I have decided to use the BMW?s OEM side light units that are as
bright as it comes in its small and the desired shape.  I have
modifying the base of the units to accommodate the bulb to a new
position within the housing.  I went along with the manufacturers
chose of mount position ? The front fender.  I just glued them onto
the black side molding just at the end of the trailing edge of the
front fenders and in front of the front doors? edging

Anyway, in *MY* opinion, the side marker lights where they are now,
is the best set up. And when I am (and my passenger are) sitting in
the DeLorean they are out of sight and out of mind while still being
very highly effective to do its job and it stays in continuity with
the DeLorean lines.  I would like to add that the conversion of the
four front and rear side marker lights to be converted as signal
lights are still not as effect effective as a turning indicators
versus the individual side light.  For whatever the reasons, the
single add on unit do stands out over the front and rear converted
markers.....

Kayo Ong
Lic  9D NY

PS  I have a pic to show for those who are interested......

On Dec 16, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Harold McElraft wrote:

> I've seen Kayo's setup and it is good one - he blended it in with the
> side molding. The light is as effective as most BMW lights and about
> the same height. He enhanced the safety factor. However, that setup is
> not as effective, in my opinion, as many mirror mounted lights -
> especially those on a Mercedes for example.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)