[DML] Re: Installing Turn Signal Under Side Mirror

[DML] Re: Installing Turn Signal Under Side Mirror

I have pondered your idea for several years and looked around for some
way to make a truly effective turn signal light like the mirror mounted
ones on newer cars today. Placing a light on the mirror means doing
some modifications to the mirrors and adding to the door wiring. I
haven't come up with a solution I can embrace as yet. Some of the newer
cars also incorporate newer lens technology that enhances the light
into beams to get your attention - a safety item worth some effort to
place on the car for sure.

I've seen Kayo's setup and it is good one - he blended it in with the
side molding. The light is as effective as most BMW lights and about
the same height. He enhanced the safety factor. However, that setup is
not as effective, in my opinion, as many mirror mounted lights -
especially those on a Mercedes for example.

Several years ago I installed a relay bank of three relays for the
front side marker lights that allow the front side markers to operate
normally AND function with the appropriate turn signal. Since I sourced
the power separately the front side markers really snap to life with
full intensity and I think are fairly effective even in full daylight.
However, the height and light-beam technology is not as desirable as
the mirror mount for getting attention to an impending turn.

I too would be interested in any ideas. How about something in the
black plastic molding in front of the window of the rear panels? Anyone
tried something there?

Harold McElraft - 3354

-- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Shannon" <birdwells@...> wrote:

> As you know, many modern cars have turn signal lights mounted
somewhere
> around the side view mirrors. There is a recess under the Delorean
side
> mirrors that a small LED light would fit. Has anyone ever tried doing
> this? Is there an turn signal electrical wire in the wiring harness
in
> the roof panel that one can tap into or does that line run through
the
> harness under the console?
>
> Shannon
> VIN 16113