[DML] Re: Gullwing Doors on Any Car

I have to strongly disagree with the Bricklin doors being only for
appearence... Yes for appearence...BUT...If normal doors were to be
put on a Bricklin it would be VERY VERY hard to egress into and out
of a Bricklin since it Does have a Rather MASSIVE Frame(think Ford F-
350 frame)running along side the car,that is very high on the side of
the car,just as with the Mercedes Gullwing,that is what/why they have
the lower black panel it hides the Massive frame that runs along side
the car..About the ONLY way to put normal doors on a Bricklin,would
be to have Basically the same style Doors as Fords GT-40 in which the
doors are part of the roof(basically Gullwing doors but hindged like
a the normal door.
On the other hand The Delorean could have had doors like the Lotus
Esprit,which would have also been nice as a option.

Claude
Bricklin 1024
since 1980

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683@...> wrote:

> I agree no car really needs Gullwing or Lambo Doors, they are only
> put there for appearance.
>
> Bricklin did it the same reason why Delorean did it.
>
> Mark V
>

> On Dec 16, 2007, at 3:00 PM, Joe Angell wrote:
>
> > I think he's more arguing that the DeLorean, Bricklin and
especially
> > the Mercedes doors actually look like a gull's wings when
opened.  The
> > DMC didn't NEED them, but the Bricklin and Mercedes could have
also
> > come up with other ways to get in and out too (sliding the entire
> > forward cockpit forward, do what Ford GT or whatever does where it
> > takes part of the roof with it when you open the otherwise
> > conventional door, etc).
> >
> > There are two conversion door kits that I noticed on the site.
One is
> > for scissor doors like on Lamborghinis, which rotate upward and
> > forward from a hinge below the A-pillar (basically).  The
conversion
> > kits, however, require the doors to swing out a little to clear
the A-
> > pillar before they can swing up (if you look at a car that was
> > designed for scissor doors, the A-pillar is inset a little so the
door
> > can swing straight up).  They can be used in what I've heard
described
> > as "girlfriend mode", and act like normal hinged doors.
> >
> > To me, the "gullwing" conversion kit is more of a "minivan
hatchback
> > mechanism for your doors" kit.  The doors appear to be hinged at
the
> > at the edge of the roof.  It seems they can be optionally
motorized
> > via linear actuators as well.  I'm too lazy to download the
> > instructions and see exactly how it's installed (also, the
> > instructions link seems to be broken), or if a more traditional
> > gullwing look can be obtained by cutting part of the roof as well.
> >
> > 	http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/product.lasso?
> > prodinc=gullwingdoors
> >
> > A few years ago I met a guy who does scissor door conversions
(they
> > make the kits; not sure if these are the same guys).  He said
they get
> > a lot of requests for gullwings, but that it is difficult because
of
> > the extra strength the roof needs to support the doors.  I'm not
sure
> > if he meant this "edge of the roof" style or a "true" gullwing
design
> > where part of the roof comes with the doors and looks like a
gull's
> > wing (more or less).
> >
> > Still, not bad for $500, if you're into that kind of thing.
> >
> > -- Joe
> >
> >> Actually the Delorean does not have "true" Gullwing doors,yes it
does
> >> have Gullwing doors,BUT true Gullwing doors were installed/used
> >> because of the frame belt line running high across the sides of
the
> >> car making normal doors inpractical,Both the Mercedes Gullwing
and
> >> the Bricklin SV-1 had/have a "true" need for Gullwing doors,thus
they
> >> are truly Gullwing cars,Deloreans have no high beltline frame
running
> >> alongside the car,needing gullwing doors,they are there as a
selling
> >> feature and as a sensable alternative to regular doors,But NOT
really
> >> needed.

> > [long quote snipped by moderator]
> >

> > To address comments privately to the moderating team, please
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)