[DML] Re: Gullwing Doors on Any Car

***Moderator's Note*** This is drifting off topic. Keep it tight.

Engine CID has nothing to do with frame dimensions. AMC dropped the
360 (Bricklin's first engine choice) into unit body vehicles without
any frame whatsoever (save for axle extensions welded to the floorpan).

Rocker panel dimensions only become an issue as the floorpan drops
below sill level. Even our little silver cars have pretty deep sills.
Compare them to pickup truck cabs, in which the floorpan rises above
sill height (that's why you can wash out a pickup truck cab with a
hose without trapping water). Had our little silver cars come with a
traditional frame rather than the center backbone, it would have
nestled between the rocker panel trim and floor pan drop, under the
decorative "DMC" sill plate.

If I'm not mistaken Rick Gendreau ran his custom frame just so.

BTW: Ford never made a 350 inch power plant. Two different 351's came
from Windsor and Cleveland, and even the Cleveland units underwent a
radical redesign in 1974 or so.

BBTW: The AMC 360 is absolutely, positively *NOT* a Ford FE motor.
It's 100% AMC designed and built. Used Duraspark ignition, which may
be what throws people off, but AMC also used Delco alternators, so why
don't people ever accuse them of robbing a GM design?

AMC gets less respect than DMC.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cbl1739" <cbl302@...> wrote:
>
> I have to strongly disagree with the Bricklin doors being only for
> appearence... Yes for appearence...BUT...If normal doors were to be
> put on a Bricklin it would be VERY VERY hard to egress into and out
> of a Bricklin since it Does have a Rather MASSIVE Frame(think Ford F-
> 350 frame)running along side the car,that is very high on the side of
> the car,just as with the Mercedes Gullwing,that is what/why they have
> the lower black panel it hides the Massive frame that runs along side
> the car..About the ONLY way to put normal doors on a Bricklin,would
> be to have Basically the same style Doors as Fords GT-40 in which the
> doors are part of the roof(basically Gullwing doors but hindged like
> a the normal door.
> On the other hand The Delorean could have had doors like the Lotus
> Esprit,which would have also been nice as a option.
>
> Claude
> Bricklin 1024
> since 1980

<*> Your email settings: