[DML] Re: WANTED: Angle Drive

Someone explain how  some cars still are running with the origional
angle drive with the plastic gears and others (a small number
presumably) go through 4 angle drives with metal gears. There has to
be something wrong with the cars that can chew up the metal gears. It
would be interesting to pull the speedometer heads on those cars and
possibly find parts jamming the works. Either that or some other
problem like a cable that is too long, a missing lower support, etc.
Bulletproofing the angle drive is only covering up the basic problem
IMHO. An interesting point, on the cars that destroy the origional
plastic gears the same cars are also capable of destroying the metal
gears. Why is that when other cars can live with the plastic gears?
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Videobob Moseley <videobob@...> wrote:

> I don't believe my problem is with any other parts.
> If the speedo or lambda counter were jamming up, then there would be
breaks or kinks to the cables
> in those areas. All of my breaks happen on the cable coming out of
the angle drive.
> This is due to the gear jamming in reverse.
> The last 3 of these that I have tried never made it out of the driveway.
> Warren and DMCH were helpfull and replaced them all for me, but I am
getting a little
> tired of doing the work!
> Hopefully they will build new drives that work and don't jam.
> I might try to open up and modify one of the few I have hanging
around and maybe
> I can get one to work?
> Otherwise it is up to DMCH or ROB to come up with a solution.
> - VB
>

> To: dmcnews@...: jakekamp@...: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 08:10:37
-0800Subject: Re: [DML] Re: WANTED: Angle Drive

> There are actually quite a few of us having the same problem, David.
For us early-adopters of the new angle drive, we found that many of
them had problems with the gears. I've had at least 6 of them, and
almost always the gears would jam while spinning the drive in my hand,
before putting it on the car! -As result, I highly doubt the problem
is with another component.This was such a problem that DMCH started
running angle drives on a test jig before selling them to customers.
Some would get hot and break, others would be fine and be sold. I
guess I was just unlucky, because even the jig-tested ones broke for
me. I've heard many people who haven't had a problem with them, but I
suspect it is due to the amount I drive my car.The longest lasting one
I had was 8000 miles. While this might be ok for several years on most
DeLoreans, that barely lasts me 4 or 5 months.My solution was to
Frankenstein my original drive gears, with a repaired input shaft, in
a DMCH casing with the grease fitting. I built this with no
expectations out of frustration. However, 45,000 miles later, it still
shows no sign of quitting!With that said, I must mention that Warren
was very accommodating with replacements. You asked below: "How many
more can you expect?" --to which I would answer: "As many as it takes
to get the product I was sold."Because I still don't like the idea of
what I made that has been working all this time, if DMCH remakes them,
I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. It was only $60 or so. -The same
goes for Rob's HC angle drive. DMCH and Rob are both small outfits who
must contract out the work of remaking a lot of complicated parts. As
long as they stand behind the product and work with us to improve it,
there's nothing to do but be pissed at their supplier. Jake
Kamphoefner1063----- Original Message ----From: David Teitelbaum
<jtrealty@...>To: dmcnews@...: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:46:07
PMSubject: [DML] Re: WANTED: Angle DriveThe speedometer in the
Delorean is not that sophisticated. It does nothave the plastic shield
over the odometer and it does not have areverse lock-out. Most
speedometers are calibrated to read 60 MPH whenthe input is turning at
1,000 RPM. I do not know if the Delorean is tobe calibrated this way
but most cars are. If a post did come looseinside it may not jam up
the works all the time. It may only happen asyou drive and make turns
and go over bumps. No one is having the sameproblem with angle drives
from DMCH so you may have a problem specificto your car. If the
speedometer IS jamming up the weakest link willkeep breaking (the
angle drive). As for DMCH's good intentions, THEYSENT YOU 4 OF
THEM!!!!! How many more can you expect?David Teitelbaumvin 10757 ---
In dmcnews@yahoogroups .com, Videobob Moseley <videobob@ .> wrote:>> >
I tried connecting my high speed Makita drill to the lower cable
andrunning it in both directions.> It runs the speedo at 65 MPH.> I
let it run for a few minutes.> I also found that when you run it
backwards the numbers count off!!!> Everything seems to move without
resistance.> The angle drive however, when you try to move it in the
reverseposition it locks up.> It is the gears of the angle drive that
bind up.> I hate to trash talk DMCH's good intentions, but I have had
4 ofthese do this to me.> Most of them never make it out of the
driveway.> They say they are making new one's and I hope they are
better quality.> - VB> > > To: dmcnews@: jtrealty@ : Tue, 20 Nov 2007
16:17:53+0000Subject: [DML] Re: WANTED: Angle Drive> > > . [Non-text
portions of this message have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)