[DML] Re: Fuel Pump Not Getting Voltage After RPM Relay Replaced

[DML] Re: Fuel Pump Not Getting Voltage After RPM Relay Replaced

Oops, read Elvis' message before this one. Diagnosis procedure is
still valid for your NEXT problem (on a DeLorean, I've got to be kidding).

Vasoline isn't electrically conductive, is it? Be careful putting
things like ordinary grease on electrical connections -- as they melt
they can insulate them (see the other post about heat). Even dialectic
grease loses its electrical properties with time. Every owner of an
older car knows the experience of digging 30 year old dialectic grease
out of bulb sockets just to get the lights to work again.

I had a problem with that bundle of wires on the starter motor -- one
of the lugs accidentally touched the block, creating a dead short.
Killed my battery in 15 or 20 minutes. Note that if the short is bad
enough the errant connection won't even create a telltale arc. DMC
used that bolt as a junction point for all the hots. I made a short
pigtail and moved the junction to a midair space next to the starter
motor (only one cable now goes to the solenoid itself).

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "davvet2" <davvet2@...> wrote:
>
> I pulled the washer bottle box and checked the harness, no corrosion
> found. Also checked the fuse block, no problems there. The inertia
> switch has been replaced and checks out as well. Chuck advised that
> the brown wires feed power to the the main and aux relays which feed
> the RPM relay. I started checking all my voltage points that had a
> brown wire, and found a loose copper starter bolt. I cleaned the
> bolt, tightened it down into the starter case and cleaned the large
> cable terminals and the brown wire terminals. Added some vasoline to
> them and tightened them down. I did the same thing at the alternator
> with the brown wires.
>
> It started right up. Not sure it's fixed, will have to start and let
> it run for a while then try to restart the car.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Mike, I was wrong on the wire color; it was white with a purple
> stripe.
>
> Jim

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional