Re: [DML] Torsion bar update

Andy,  You are absolutely right, the torsion bar has a
really low failure rate.  BUT, and that's a really big
BUT, until it happens to you, personally, you just
can't fathom how useless the car is!!

I have been fortunate enough to see first hand and
operate a door without the torsion bar, with just a
strut attached.  Yep, I could get the door opened,
yep, I could get in, but what a pain in the BUTT.  And
getting out was even worse.

I'm a pretty big guy (6'4", 250") and it took a lot of
effort to extract myself from the vehicle.  If you
ever get the opportunity to heft one of the Delorean
doors (with all the innards attached), I highly
recommend it.  You will be both in shock and awe.  It
is one HEAVY unit.

My point, I have a friend that has squirreled away
three driver's side torsion bars (two nos, one used),
but he/she says, until the price reaches $2.5k they
won't even think about selling.  I chuckled to myself
when I first saw this thread's original post, but then
I saw the offer to sell a used one for $1.5k, I came
to the realization that, this is another part of the
car, (just like the left front fender, except the bar
is not repairable, yet) that many owners will pay a
premium to have, just to make the car "drivable".

I dearly hope that someone can come up for a repair to
the torsion bars or can manage to fabricate new ones,
but I dread the day that I hear the snap inside my
T-panel.  As of right now, there are not a lot of
options available to the community.

Mike   TPS    1630

PS:  My car was stored for the first 19 years of it's
life with the doors open, maybe I'll get a small
reprieve.

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/

    mailto:dmcnews-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx