[DML] Re: High idle dilemma

Check for play (looseness) in the quadrant link. It is the piece that
connects the throttle spool to the throttle arm. The ball ends can
develop a lot of play and then the throttle arm does not go all the
way to idle and trip the micro. You can also lubricate the throttle
cable (as per the recall) and disassemble, clean, lubricate, and
reassemble the throttle spool. Be very careful with the quadrant link.
There are little pins in the ball ends just like the ones on the door
struts and they MUST be removed before trying to remove the quadrant
link. The ball ends are handed, ie, one is left-handed and one is
right-handed. It is done this way so you can make a very precise
adjustment without taking one of the ends off. You can also move the
outer spring on the throttle spool to the next position to increase
the tension. (Not recommended, tiring on long trips and better to find
the reason things are tight).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans@...> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>         I need some help.  Can't pass emissions.  I'm running rich
because
> my idle is about 1400 RPM.  My idle speed microswitch did not seem to be
> working, so here's the catch:
>
> When I unbolt it from the car and press it, my car idles right at
770 RPM,
> perfect.  When I reinstall it, 1400 RPM.  The throttle arm screw is
adjusted
> perfect and pushes the idle speed microswitch down when you let off the
> pedal.  Even if you push it by hand or with a screw driver, when it is
> bolted to the car, high idle.  When not bolted to the car and you
push it,
> perfect idle.  I have even tried a new switch AND one working on another
> car....same symptoms.
>
> WHY?!?  This makes no sense to me.  Anyone have any ideas on this one?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Matt
> VIN 16816
> The Arizona DeLorean Club