[DML] Check my gizintas..

I went to the Maryland Dyno day yesterday with 6068.
It was my intention to keep the results private, but
it became obvious to me that it was not possible
considering the way the shop was laid out.

First, I would like to thank Bernie for organizing the
event, and Tiffany (and her family) for the amazing
afternoon BBQ.

For those at the event, I am sure my disappointment
with the dyno results was obvious.  (heck, I am known
for "wearing my heart on my sleeve", and it applies to
most emotions)  However, on the long ride home I had
time to think about the results.

The goal of my project was to double the horse power
of the DeLorean, with nothing too fancy (forced
induction, laughing gas, and the likes).  I just
wanted to take a (for the most part) stock junkyard
motor and put it in the DeLorean.  Cost was a huge
factor in my project, and I stayed within my $8000
budget (even though I ended up buying a Porsche
transmission after I set the budget!)

There were a few other cars that ran on the dyno
including a Houston stage II, a PRV with euro exhaust,
and some "stock" cars.  I won't go in to detail on
who's car did what, because that is none of my
business.  However, It has been established by other
"dyno days" that a stock Delorean puts out about
95-100 WHP.  This is consistent with the 30% loss we
so often hear about use to various drive train
physics.  (I don't know how accurate the 30% number
is).  70% of 130 is 91.  So, the 30% number seems
high.  if we assume 130HP at the engine, and 97HP at
the wheels, there is a 25% loss.  (WOW that is a lot!)

The VQ35 powered DeLorean did 206.0 WHP.  When I saw
that number, I was disappointed.  But why?  A stock
DeLorean is about 100 WHP, and I doubled it.  In
reality, I did meet my goals.  But, what about the 260
HP I expected to get out of this engine?

If I use the same 25% loss numbers, 75% of 260 is 195!
 So, (if my gizintas are correct) I did better than I
should have expected.  205 WHP beats my goal, as that
would calculate back to 275HP at the engine.. it is
also in range of the Nissan quoted 280HP.  (Not bad,
considering I am running it without the variable cam
timing).

I have never been much of a "tuner" performance guy,
so these numbers may be clearer to others than it is
to me.

Are my calculations correct?  Or am I just trying to
convince myself that the car did better than it should
have? If anyone can better explain these numbers to
me, I (and probably others) would love to learn about
it.

Either way, I have a baseline to work with.  The
engine is still running with the Maxima intake, which
I plan on swapping with the (300HP rated) 350Z intake.
 I have not yet calibrated any of the sensors, heck I
did not even hook the laptop up to it to make sure the
ECU is functioning properly.  Still running on the
junkyard spark plugs!  (I did change the oil).  I have
no were to go but up.

Where can I fit a supercharger?

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings: