[DML] Production date, TABs, coolant leak and hood grooves

[DML] Production date, TABs, coolant leak and hood grooves

My Car (VIN 07181) is listed and registered as an '81.  It has no grooves
nor logo emblem on the hood.  Is it an anomaly or was it not supposed to
have those?

I noticed a small coolant leak the other day.  Coolant accumulated on the
left side of the firewall, above the radiator pipe and further to center.
After some investigation, the pipe and fittings are completely tight and
dry.  It appears to be coming from around the heater tubes at or near the
heater valve at the front of the engine.  What a pain in the rear trying to
get to those.  I expect I'll have to remove the hood, as I did when I
replaced the plug wires and rotor, but is there any trick you can suggest to
use to gain access to these parts for inspection and replacement?

Also, if I'm inspecting my TABs for wear, what would I expect to see if they
need changing?  Are the common problem bolts the ones at the frame or the
ones at the axel.  I assume (uh oh) it's the axel bolts, yes?

Anybody nearby La Center, WA (just above Portland) would be welcome to drop
by and point things out to me.

Thanks for your help.

Craig Werner
7181