[DML] Re: Production date, TABs, coolant leak and hood grooves

[DML] Re: Production date, TABs, coolant leak and hood grooves

You should consider replacing ALL of the hoses if any are leaking.
Chances are many are origional, especially the ones that are hard to
reach like the heater hoses and the ones on the back of the water
pump. There is no easy way to get to the hoses behind the water pump.
The general advice is to tear the top of the motor off and just
replace the water pump, the hoses, and all the seals and gaskets,
vacuum hoses, belts, idler pulley bearings, spark plugs, and ignition
wires while you are in there. You may also have to replace the heater
valve if it is stuck and/or leaking. Most of the vendors have what
they call their "Master Cooling System Kit" with all the parts you
will  need. Removing the engine cover does improve the access.
 As for the hood and emblem, ther is no way to know, when cars went
through the QAC centers parts were changed with no regard as to vin's,
running production changes, correctness, etc. Hoods with flaps and
grooves were in short supply, being no longer produced, so if a car
had a damaged hood it was replaced with what was available, the flat
hood being the current part. The emblem couild have been removed or
just never installed. It is also possible a P. O. had to replace a
damaged hood and got the flat hood.
 Current wisdom is if you have any concerns about your TAB's then they
should be replaced. Cheap insurance. If the ones in the car are loose
or bent then it is a no-brainer. The TAB's are the bolts (one each on
each trailing arm) that attach the front end of the rear trailing arm
to the frame through a bushing. You may have to remove the aluminum
shields to get a good view.
 You also need to determine if the car had all of the recalls done and
you should discuss with your favorite vendor about getting the "relay
upgrade kit". Make sure all the fuses are the correct size for each
position.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757