[DML] Re: Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc

[DML] Re: Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc

John Conway still recurves distributers. If anyone needs his contact
info I can provide it but basically you limit the mechanical advance
to almost nothing. He does it by drilling and tapping one of the ears
that holds one of the springs and puts a small bolt in it to stop most
of the advance. Of course this isn't going to matter if you can't get
the rest of the parts. From what I have heard the turbos are very
scarce now and Island Turbo does not have all the castings anymore.
Many of the other smaller parts are still available either from Island
Turbo, some of the Delorean vendors, or other sources of turbo parts.
The cost of the installation can cost over $1,000 and that doesn't
include ANY parts. It is not exactly a bolt-in installation. It
requires some machinist skills. You have to drill and tap the lower
crankcase in 2 spots. To do that you have to lift the motor and remove
the crankcase. It also requires removal of the exhaust system and the
removal and replacement of any studs you will break in the cylinder
heads. It is easier than an engine swap. It should only be done to a
healthy engine. I would recomend a compression test and a leak-down
test to verify the motor is in good condition. Of course the cooling
system MUST be in perfect health, a turbo will make the engine produce
more power and than means more heat. A tune-up is also a good idea.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "d_rex_2002" <rich@xxxx> wrote:

> Although this may not be the case for all DeLorean turbo kits,
> my experience with the Island Twin Turbo kit is that the recurve
> of the distributer is included with the kit (when new), however
> you did need to remove your ditributer and send it in to be done.
>
> For those of you acquiring used kits or attempting to assemble
> kits similar to the Island TT kit using partial Island TT kits
> (such as from a damaged DeLorean), there are some news parts
> still available. I'm also sure they can still properly recurve
> your distributor if you need to replace a damaged or missing one
> although there will be shipping and labor charges involved.
>
> Later,
> Rich W.

[moderator snip]