Re: [DML] Power door locks

Does anyone have a diagram of the relay compartment belong to
what/what they do? I was hoping that there would be a sticker on the
underside of the cover/board, but there is none. Additionally, I
would like to know how to test them out. I just see a whole bunch of
relays that all look the same, and since I mostly work on my car at
night, cannot read them with a flashlight.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Almy <chris.almy@xxxx> wrote:

> The D is actually very similar. It doesn't matter if you
lock/unlock the
> door from the inside or outside, either way the other door will do
the
> same. So from the drivers side using the key, when you unlock the
door, the
> passenger side should unlock as well.
>
> Before you start troubleshooting, disable the electronic locks by
> disconnecting the big white connector on the lock module in the
relay
> compartment. Verify that each door properly locks and unlocks
using both
> the inside switch and key (remember, the doors should be closed
when
> locked). If they don't do this, you're not going to get anywhere
with the
> electronics. Use this page to help align the locks if they aren't
working
> properly:
> http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-10-8.81.html
>
> Fixing the electronics can be a bit more tricky. If you can solder
> electrical components, start of by replacing the two relays in the
lock
> module (Toby sells an upgraded version). If they haven't failed,
they will
> someday and possibly lock you in the D! So you might as well
replace them.
> Now if one or both of the doors aren't functioning properly, then
you
> probably have to deal with the solenoids.
>
> You can replace them with other solenoids at a great expense or
rebuild
> them. I did this to one of mine using the article in the tech
section. It
> wasn't fun, but it worked. Now I would just recommend shelling out
the $100
> and buy Toby's actuator upgrade. Installing the actuators is
cheaper then
> replacement solenoids and quicker then rebuilding them.
>
> I hope this helps. If you still have issues with the system, let
us know
> exactly what the problem is.
>
> Chris
> VIN 4099