Re: [DML] Power door locks

seanhagan wrote:

>Does anyone have a diagram of the relay compartment belong to
>what/what they do? I was hoping that there would be a sticker on the
>underside of the cover/board, but there is none. Additionally, I
>would like to know how to test them out. I just see a whole bunch of
>relays that all look the same, and since I mostly work on my car at
>night, cannot read them with a flashlight.

I remember seeing the location diagram in the parts manual somewhere. I
don't have it with me so I can't tell you in what section though. Most
of the relays are the same though. I think the only three that are
different are the lambda relay, rpm relay and the fan fail module. the
rest of them (8 I think) are normal 40 amp bosch relays.  Testing the
normal relays is simple enough. You just need an DMM, test light,
whatever. Anything that you can use to verify continuity, and a 12volt
DC source.  All you do is first put your DMM or test light between pin
30 and 87a and make sure you have continuity and 30 and 87 should be
open. Then apply 12 volts to 85 and 86 and test again. this time 30 -
87a should be open, and 30 - 87 will have continuity.  I don't know
anything about how to test the RPM or lambda relays though, as I don't
know how they're wired.   If your relays are original though, i'd
suggest replacing them reguardless of if they work or not. the normal
bosch 40's are pretty inexpensive and the originals are well over 20
years old after all. Replacing them is just added peace of mind.

--

Chris
VIN# 03209