[DML] Re: Time for a new Speedo mechanism ...

[DML] Re: Time for a new Speedo mechanism ...

The only way it will make sense to "electrify" the speedometer is as
part of a comprehensive engine management and powertrain computer
system. Short of that it is possible to have a reliable, functioning
speedometer with the origional system and upgraded parts. The weakest
link is the angle drive. The next problem area is the lower speedo
cable support bracket (or the missing, broken one). Next is the lower
cable and the drive disc. I also believe many cars with chronic speedo
problems have loose, broken parts floating around inside the speedo
head jamming up the magnets causing the speedo cables, angle drives,
and drive discs to fail. If you seem to go through speedo parts you
should pull the speedo head out and look inside for clips and screws
jamming up the works. This is all a whole lot cheaper than
overdesigning the speedo. Unless you can adapt an electronic speedo
from a bike! No odometer and it wouldn't be legal. I also believe that
many angle drives fail from a lack of lubrication. When was the last
time you lubricated yours? They are supposed to be lubricated at the
time of every service. Because of the limited mileage most are driven
then it should be lubricated once a year.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757