[DML] Re: Time for a new Speedo mechanism ...

[DML] Re: Time for a new Speedo mechanism ...

Nice idea but economics gets in the way. I've been involved in some
aftermarket parts work and we've actually thought thru this a bit,
and this requires :

-- a weatherproof electrical sender, either on the trans or front
wheel that can take the abuse;
---a servomotor to continue to turn the speedo cable in time with the
transducer OR a new speedo head that is electronic rather than
mechanical, but can still run the odometer;
---some electronics to translate the sender pulses to a servomotor
control OR an electronic gauge (but something still needs to run the
mechanical odometer, or that needs to be replaced too!);
---someone to design, engineer, and test all this, who is willing to
invest thousands up front for production, and then sell it for less
than or equal to the price of the current angle drive ($60)

Here's a made-up business case analysis - yeah the numbers are made
up but it's close enough for this excercise:
-----
After spending many hours doing the design, sourcing the parts,
building the kit etc. and building the inventory, say the investment
is $5000 in engineering and testing(probably a lot more) and $40000
in the first 200 units ($200 each set for a pulse drive, custom
control circuit, and a speedo head or servomotor.)

So our developer ties up $45000 in time and money.  Assuming he can
sell all 200 of them over 2 years and wants to make his investment
back in that much time (no profit yet) it has to sell for $225 each.
AFTER two years he gets to make a gross profit of 13% per unit for
all this trouble and investment. Not much of a business plan. Add
marketing costs in there too.

In addition, probably 3/4 of the target purchasing audience would
have to pay someone another $100 to install it, more if the dash has
to come apart.

How many $225 (+ install) speedo setups do you suppose someone would
sell, given that I can continue to buy angle drives for $60? Even if
I'm off by 50% in all the numbers, it doesn't work.

That's why nobody has done it, at least commercially. I hope someone
will do one and prove me wrong. BTW this is exactly how BMW
speedometers have worked since about 1983, driven from the rear axle.
 So - maybe there's a design that you can start with.

Dave Swingle