[DML] Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )

[DML] Re: ebay delorean ( Dave Swingle and Rich Weissensel )

This car has been run through Ebay at least once before. While there
are reasons for a private auction, I'm always a little suspicious of
them when it comes to something innocuous like cars.

The description is rather misleading, too:

"The current Nada Retail Value comes in at $27,500 and allows for a 30
percent increase for a professionally refurbished vehicle - - - and
this one has been refurbished by the ABSOLUTE BEST - - -that means
this one has a value of $35,750 - - - -"

What's the NADA book really says is "Models professionally restored or
refurbished by DeLorean Motor Company MAY BRING UP A CONSIDERABLE
PREMIUM (UP TO 30%) OVER VALUES LISTED. (caps mine, not NADA's).

The first time it was listed, I called the dealer selling the car for
the owner and asked that it be re-worded to not be misleading and he
actually told me over the phone "you ever hear of buyer beware?" - yikes.

FWIW, DMC has bought a DeLorean or two over Ebay and are 1 for 2 in
getting what we thought we were getting. I personally have bought
three cars (non-DeLoreans) through Ebay and am 1 for 3. In both cases,
the car we did "good" on was the car we physically went to look at, or
had someone knowledgeable look at for us.

For Ebay cars, my rule is if you don't know the seller, AT LEAST get
someone knowledgeable to look at the car in person for you if you
can't look at it yourself. Descriptions can be worded with multiple
interpretations and photos taken to accentuate the positive and
downplay (or ouright hide) the negative.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Swingle" <swingle@xxxx> wrote:
(SNIP)

> I asked them to remove our names because I do not consider the car
> a "restoration" in the true sense of the word. Don't get me wrong, it
> is a very nice driver-level car, but if you are expecting a
> museum/concours quality restoration this isn't it. The frame and
> suspension is very solid but needs some cleaning and painting.
> There's a chance that some of this was done since the car left here
> (about a year ago) but you'll note that the ebay ad has has no
> undercarriage pictures. It's in about 98% mechanical shape, when it
> left here everything worked and worked well.

(SNIP)